• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

#1124 - SHATOOSH - new caretaker

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: la conner wa

#1124 - SHATOOSH - new caretaker

Post by bnb1088 »

I am now the caretaker of an Albin 25 - #1124. she was named SHATOOSH and well known in the Puget Sound area. Her new name is after my Admiral, BECKY MI AMOR. Admiral passed away in March and we discussed getting a good single-handed vessel for me. BECKY MI AMOR will give me great adventures. Lots questions coming your way as I am new to the Puget Sound, after being on other seas for 50 years. Lots of previous boats from 7' to 48'. But handling this 25' single-handed will be a great learning experience. Thanks for welcoming us aboard
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: #1124 - SHATOOSH - new caretaker

Post by WillieC »

Welcome! Where is home? We are on Hood Canal and know Shatoosh, having met at least two previous owners.
bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by bnb1088 »

Home is in La Conner. BECKY MI AMOR on the hard at La Conner Maritime. They have a great in-out policy and adjacent dock space on first-come basis. Hope to make first trip to Lopez, Blind Bay after labor day. Then next trip to Sequim. Next year, down to Hood Canal. Thanks.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Congratulations on your new conservatorship and welcome to the cult! The A25 is a great single hander and a capable cruiser.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Congrats on your new-to-you boat and condolences on the loss of your loved one. The world of Albin 25's is a small one. I've been in contact with Trevor at Capital City Yachts as recently as this week and also Mike Almvig, owner of the other A25 you checked out but passed on & picked ex-Shatoosh, now Becky Mi Amor, instead. If you haven't already done so be sure to perform the proper renaming/christening ceremony . This is very important, luck depends on it! I've also met the last owner of Shatoosh, Joyce Winough, who had moved to Hawaii which is why she put it up for sale brokered with Capital City Yachts.

https://www.hashtagboatlife.com/christen-your-boat/

At one point a few years back Joyce lived in Green Valley, AZ, a town 30 miles south of Tucson. Back in 2018 when she first became owner she trailered it up to my "home port" of Lake Pleasant, AZ northwest of Phoenix and asked for my help launching Shatoosh for a test run. Unfortunately the raw water pump impeller on the Volvo engine failed & there weren't any spares aboard (word to wise, always keep spares on board), so all we could do was dunk it at the ramp & not take it out for a run. Later that same year she trailered it up to Comox on Vancouver Island and kept it there for a while, but we missed her when we stopped at Comox on the way to Desolation Sound because she was traveling in Japan at the time.

We plan to make a final run taking our boat up to Washington next summer, likely mid May to mid June, do a four to six week cruise up into the San Juans & Gulf Islands, likely launch from the Swantown ramp, and afterwards lay our boat up in storage at Swantown and on consignment with Capital City Yachts. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up somewhere along the way and swap stories.
BoatUSmagaritcal1.jpg
"Hope to make first trip to Lopez, Blind Bay after labor day."
Fishermans Bay on Lopez is a great stop. Just across the channel from Friday Harbor it has a great sheltered anchorage. Watch the entrance during low tide though, gets very shallow outside of the channel, but once inside there's plenty of room to anchor & two small marinas to dock if you want to. It's also a premier location for July 4th fireworks. Lopez Village is a short hike, about a mile, from the docks where there's grocery, bakery & places to eat. Also on July 4th the village puts on a July 4th Parade. There's an AOG member "Lopez Mike" somewhere on the island.
20190704_224130.jpg
20190704_112406.jpg
ps, being new to this site, you can click on photos for a zoomed in view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by bnb1088 »

Thanks for the notes. Yes, Trevor was a great broker. SHATOOSH sold herself and I'm quite happy as the caretaker. We did the last voyage as SHATOOSH, and did go to Blind Bay, Shaw Island (my mistake, not Lopez Is). Spent 2 days learning the whimsies of the boat. And started (continued) checklists for groceries, packing (like who forgets a towel), and engine checklists. Then over to Cypress, Eagle Harbor for a great 2 nights. After 35 years of having an Admiral, it still had lots of good moments. I hope to have a re-naming ceremony in a couple of weeks - got the new name decals put on today. BECKY MI AMOR shines in her gold lettering. Saw your youtube on Desolation Sound - great, and help me decide on the Albin. I have to re-learn tides, currents and weather as I left the San Juans in 1961 - good to be home. Will be reviewing this site for ideas of new equipment - starting with a windlass -- that hatch is way too small for me. New batteries in this weekend. Thanks again for the welcome

Return to “New Member Introductions”