• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 for sale in Connecticut

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

A25 for sale in Connecticut

Post by Jmk2000 »

Anyone know anything about this boat? I’m interested in possibly pursuing purchase but the guy doesn’t give a lot of info and doesn’t answer questions as well as I’d like.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=6ojiHh

I’m hoping it’s not a scam but figured I’d ask on here. It need some work from the pictures but I’m not scared of that. Lister has told me the boats been on the trailer since 2021 and it is currently shrink wrapped which is why he won’t provide any more pictures.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Re: A25 for sale in Connecticut

Post by Burton »

Yes, if true, that’s a great deal. The picture does show it on a trailer, but nothing is spoken of in the description. Perhaps you could contact a yacht surveyor in the area to look at it, and then you would know.
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

The seller told me it’s on a trailer but he only trusts it to go short distances. It’s basically a haul out trailer. He did admit he has no paperwork on the trailer.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I don't do Facebook or Meta as it's called now, so I can't see the details. But seeing as how there are likely few Albin 25's in Connecticut (excepting Driftless), if no photos because of shrink wrap could be either of these two boats that once sat at Joe DeMer's Sound Marine Diesel lot in Plainville, CT back in 2015? Pretty sure one or both of those boats have changed hands since then. Trailer's not worth much if there's no paperwork if you're talking about lack of title and/or registration. Especially if it's painted steel & been used for salt water launching. Jmk2000, are you anywhere near Connecticut? The good & bad about shrink wrap, good that its covered, but no telling how long it's been like that & when last time it was in the water and ran. Could be for one season or ten. Without an in person inspection no telling what hidden horrors might lay within. A well kept boat with a good running engine and a decent trailer could be worth up to $25,000 to the right person. $15,000 or more without trailer. I know of two Albin 25's with trailers that have recently sold for $25K out in Seattle area. But Seattle is not Connecticut. Albin 25's are common out that way and up into coastal BC, Canada.
DSCN2505.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:46 am I don't do Facebook or Meta as it's called now, so I can't see the details. But seeing as how there are likely few Albin 25's in Connecticut (excepting Driftless), if no photos because of shrink wrap could be either of these two boats that once sat at Joe DeMer's Sound Marine Diesel lot in Plainville, CT back in 2015? Pretty sure one or both of those boats have changed hands since then. Trailer's not worth much if there's no paperwork if you're talking about lack of title and/or registration. Especially if it's painted steel & been used for salt water launching. Jmk2000, are you anywhere near Connecticut? The good & bad about shrink wrap, good that its covered, but no telling how long it's been like that & when last time it was in the water and ran. Could be for one season or ten. Without an in person inspection no telling what hidden horrors might lay within. A well kept boat with a good running engine and a decent trailer could be worth up to $25,000 to the right person. $15,000 or more without trailer. I know of two Albin 25's with trailers that have recently sold for $25K out in Seattle area. But Seattle is not Connecticut. Albin 25's are common out that way and up into coastal BC, Canada.

DSCN2505.JPG
Thats Joe Demeers /Sound Diesels boats there. I think only one is still there. The listing is for James Kenny's boat down in new London
Last edited by tribologist on Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Jmk2000 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:32 pm The seller told me it’s on a trailer but he only trusts it to go short distances. It’s basically a haul out trailer. He did admit he has no paperwork on the trailer.
James Kenny that sells that boat is very nice. I would not be worried. I met James and I been on his boat a few years ago and it is rough but has a semi modern engine. I would pick up that in a heartbeat over any albin with a MD17 or AD21. It would not take a whole lot of effort/money making that a great boat. New door skins, some new floor boards etc. I live about 1 hours from there.

My guess is that you would need to change out the brake plates, actuators and hoses. Probably 4 new tires before towing to NC. Certainly wheel bearings. Probably 2 days work on the trailer before you would do a long haul. Rebuilding the brake system completely and fit it up properly to the boat would qualify as homemade here in CT. I did that on mine. Alternatively buy any POS boat trailer in NC and do a screw driver transfer and scrap the plate donor or sell as haulout trailer.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I make a deal with you. If you let me have the life lines/ rear railing from it I will help you bring the trailer to roadworthy condition.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Had a few pictures.. SN1033
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

Can anyone give me the headroom in the cabin and the helmarea? I’m 6’ tall and wondering if I can stand up
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

At 6 ft tall you'd would be able to stand up in the wheelhouse & cockpit, but just barely. Head room is right about 6ft. In the forward cabin it's 5 ft 9 in by the galley and steps up a couple inches to about 5 ft 7 in between the settees. The enclosed head will be quite cramped for a 6 ft tall person with long legs. Aft cabin is sitting headroom only of course, and the quarter berths are right at 6 ft length. But they're meant for children anyway. Sitting at the driver seat the floor is at the level of the top of the engine box. So in the case of this boat if you modified the hard top and added an opening hatch you could stand up at the helm and the opening would be about chin level. It looks like the wheelhouse hard top may be hinged in the center & could flip over sideways to open up the space over the helm. To find a boat with headroom to accommodate a person taller than 6 ft you'd have to go to a much larger boat. I'm 5'10" and I can't quite stand fully upright in the front cabin except right by the door to the cockpit.
ctalbin25.jpg
20181129_160531_resized.jpg
Screen shot2.jpg

Hull number 1099 is a late 1971 build, the full displacement hull variant with the engine box stepped so the back portion is under the floorboards. If serioiusly interested the first question to ask is about the engine. Is it original to the boat, which would be a 2 cyl 20 hp AD21, or has it been replaced with a newer engine? And if so what make & how many engine hours on it. Also how well is it equipped, anchors, electronics, seat cushion condition, etc. If it's in the water as photos show then for how long, when last hauled out, what condition bottom paint is in? All those can have a big effect on how much money needs to be spent to make improvements. Like for example settee & quarter berth cushions. Refurbishing those can get expensive, even just cost of materials if you have a sewing machine & can DIY. This one is missing cockpit canvas & just has the funky wood top. I spent over $900 in materials to make a new one for my boat DIY. I made those blue cockpit bench seat in the bottom picture of our boat myself. All antique boats of this vintage are project boats to some extent, even if just to personalize it and keep ship shape.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jmk2000 »

tribologist wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:48 pm Had a few pictures.. SN1033
Someone beat me to it, the boats sales pending already. I had way too many logistics to try and nail down to make it work for me. No hard feelings at all. Someone’s gonna have a great boat
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's the thing with Albin 25's, they are few and far between and don't often come on the market. The newest model I've seen or heard of on this side of the pond is 1978. That means the newest ones are at least 45 years old. Some like mine are over 50 years old. We drove 850 miles to get ours. At the time there were only two others that I could find advertised in the U.S. & those were in Texas & Florida.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

FYI, three Albin 25's are currently listed for sale on Seattle Craigslist. Two have trailers, one does not. Also an Albin 30 which is a similar design as A25 & A27 but bigger. The A30 is not to be confused with the Taiwan built classic 36 ft trawlers which are completely different.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

One listed for $3000 in boston area. Needs engine but looks good.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”