• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Assistance to mobility impaired kids and adults

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Assistance to mobility impaired kids and adults

Post by GeorgeS »

After purchasing our Albin 28 TE yr. 2000 named " 2nd Wind" and enjoying some terrific coastal cruising in the Narragansett Bay area, my wife (a pediatrician) and I (an architect) decided to create a non-profit 501-c-3 Corporation to extend the nautical cruising experience to people with mobility impairment issues, young and old. We can both personally vouch for the healing qualities provided by safely boating in the natural coastal environment and want to offer that same experience to a select group of people recommended by their physicians.

The non-profit now enjoys full tax-exempt legal status both in Rhode Island and nationally with the IRS. We are privileged to have a distinguished group of physicians, scientists and nautical professionals on our Board of Directors. We also have available a fleet of three very capable diesel powered cruising boats, including our recently purchased Albin 35 TE also named 2nd Wind, an iconic classic Dyer 29 named Dragonfly and a Fortier 33 named Dorey Girl. We also have secured the participation of two USCG professionally licensed captains to pilot the boats during any excursions with mobility impaired guests aboard.

Our immediate goals are to raise funds to purchase a Hoyer-type lift to enable mobility impaired individuals to easily transfer from dockside to a powerboat marina and also to finance the expenses of providing free excursions aboard our fleet for selected mobility impaired children and adults.

We hope that our fellow AOG members (after contributing to the AOG) will please consider extending a tax-exempt helping hand to us in this endeavor. The donation form can be found online through our website at www.2ndwindfoundation.org or by mail at : 2nd Wind Foundation, PO. Box 781, Bristol RI. USA 02809.

GeorgeS.
nwe 2nd wind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Re: Assistance to mobility impaired kids and adults

Post by GeorgeS »

A quick note for all our Florida and Southern AOG'ers.:

The 2nd Wind Foundation is currently in discussions with the Shake-a-Leg Foundation of Miami who have similar goals and objectives. The purpose is to provide an opportunity for disabled or mobility impaired people of all ages including military veterans to access boating in either a sail or powerboat format. We expect to be able to offer some joint programming and operations in Florida as well as Boston and Rhode Island next season. This is quite an exciting prospect for both Foundations. Please let me know if you have any questions or positive suggestions.

GeorgeS.

Return to “General Discussion”