• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

10 year engine overhaul.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 10 year engine overhaul.

Post by Tree »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Could I be any happier?

Sea trial has blown me away. After asking permission and being turned down by the Kings Harbour Master to do WOT testing in the harbour we had to venture outside it not so great conditions. Ebb tide on full spring tides where the ebb runs at about 6 knots, wind over tide blowing a 5 to 6 and standing seas in the harbour entrance of about 5' - think Haulover on a rough day! I would have aborted with everything thats been done but today was the only opportunity we had to do a full shakedown as the mechanic is fully booked and away for the next 2 weeks or so.

WOT even in the nasty conditions gave me 4000 rpm on the tach, for obvious reasons we couldn't laser tach it as too much water was coming over the boat and a top speed of 24 knots, cruise at 3300rpm was giving me 18-19 knots. Not a hint of smoke of any colour with engine temps and oil pressure remaining perfect! Fuel was only a quarter tank, water was full with two aboard. I am happy to sign it off.

Forecast for Saturday is looking good so it will be interesting to see what the performance is really like with just me aboard in calm conditions but i really think this boat could break the 26 knot mark now with the new running gear - I am running a 20.5" x 19.5 4 blade wheel developed by Clements Engineering.

For now, I really couldn't be happier!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

That's so exciting and gratifying! Congratulations!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

Tree wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:24 pm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Could I be any happier?

Sea trial has blown me away. After asking permission and being turned down by the Kings Harbour Master to do WOT testing in the harbour we had to venture outside it not so great conditions. Ebb tide on full spring tides where the ebb runs at about 6 knots, wind over tide blowing a 5 to 6 and standing seas in the harbour entrance of about 5' - think Haulover on a rough day! I would have aborted with everything thats been done but today was the only opportunity we had to do a full shakedown as the mechanic is fully booked and away for the next 2 weeks or so.

WOT even in the nasty conditions gave me 4000 rpm on the tach, for obvious reasons we couldn't laser tach it as too much water was coming over the boat and a top speed of 24 knots, cruise at 3300rpm was giving me 18-19 knots. Not a hint of smoke of any colour with engine temps and oil pressure remaining perfect! Fuel was only a quarter tank, water was full with two aboard. I am happy to sign it off.

Forecast for Saturday is looking good so it will be interesting to see what the performance is really like with just me aboard in calm conditions but i really think this boat could break the 26 knot mark now with the new running gear - I am running a 20.5" x 19.5 4 blade wheel developed by Clements Engineering.

For now, I really couldn't be happier!
Congrats!!! That is great to hear.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Still a bit bumpy out there so still can’t trim the boat properly. I did peak at 24.9 knots so I reckon it will make 26
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Today’s little upgrade.

After having the flexiteek fitted a few years back, the rear hatch covers won’t stay open unassisted.

Now they’ve got proper assistance albeit a little bit overkill but they do look cool.

I do love a stainless steel gas ram.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Not sure how the Yanmars work (but I am learning)...It seems to me that holding the stop button while cranking prevents fuel from charging the lines, thereby stopping a running engine. It seems you may never get fuel out an injector line with the stop button pushed. At least that was how our Volvo Penta worked with a manual stop cable.

Do you mean to keep your finger poised over the stop button in case she starts?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

The yanmar has a fuel cut off solenoid - if you hold the stop button in to crank it you simply won’t get fuel to the injectors. It’s fine for the first couple of cranks to get oil everywhere it needs to be but for bleeding the injectors it has to be done the old fashioned way. Prime the filter and pump manually and then crank with the injector cracked open until you see fuel spitting out.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

:D Love those rams on the hatch covers! There, you stinkers! You won't fall on me again!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”