• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35 CB Engine Hatch Gas Spring Replacement

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
kpetry
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: None

35 CB Engine Hatch Gas Spring Replacement

Post by kpetry »

I recently had to replace the Gas Spring which assisted in the opening of the engine hatch on my 2007 35 CB. It had gotten weak with age and was no longer helping lift the hatch. I figured someone else might benefit from what I learned in the process.

Luckily I was able to locate a US source for the Camlock Gas Spring, made in the UK. It wasn't easy! But I eventually was able to make a connection with Guden Industrial Hardware, which is a US distributor for Camlock products. I provided them with a photo of the identifying info that remained on the cylinder, and they went from there. It turns out that this model gas spring is still made. $250 later, it was on it's way to me.

Installation was fairly straightforward. The end hardware which arrived with the cylinder had to be swapped out for my brackets. The threaded shafts made this fairly easy. Because of the angle of the cylinder once it is in place, in order to be able to reach both screws on the top bracket, I had to again remove the upper bracket from the cylinder, screw it in place on the underside of the hatch, and then screw the cylinder back onto the bracket now attached to the hatch. Once the gas spring is in place it is necessary to bleed off part of the nitrogen charge in the cylinder to get the proper spring tension to hold the hatch open, without it being too difficult to close. The process is explained with included instructions, but involves using a 2mm Allen wrench (provided) to loosen a plug in the end of the cylinder. Gas can be heard escaping when this is done. The trick is not to remove too much, as you can't put it back in! I opened the valve for about 3 seconds per try, then closed the valve and checked for tension. It took about 10 tries (30 sec total) before the cylinder would even start to move, and another 5 or 6 tries (15 sec total?) before I got the tension I wanted to be able to close without too much strain on the mountings, yet hold the hatch open when extended. It now opens easily on it's own and stays open nicely.

Interestingly, the directions are explicit that the gas spring be mounted with the cylinder up, and the shaft down. This is the opposite of how mine was installed, so it had probably been removed in the past and reinstalled incorrectly. Without mounting the cylinder up, the bleed screw would have been next to impossible to reach down at the bottom of the engine room!

It's not a bad project, and it will be much easier with this info! See the attached pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: 35 CB Engine Hatch Gas Spring Replacement

Post by Nancy »

Wow! This is incredibly helpful information to have! Thank you!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palatka, FL

Re: 35 CB Engine Hatch Gas Spring Replacement

Post by Maogwaicat »

Just so happens we need one for our 2005, 35CB. Many thanks for sharing, I will order a shaft ASAP! Any other info I need? I don't have the old shaft available for compare...

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”