• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

overheating 4D61

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cturtle
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: POCASSET, MA (CAPE COD)

overheating 4D61

Post by Cturtle »

I have changed the thermostat, the impeller, and water is coming out the exhaust okay. She overheats over 3000 rpm. I am now going after the exhaust elbow. It has never been done (1985) 27FC. I am afraid of breaking off bolts removing the elbow. Any advice?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: overheating 4D61

Post by WillieC »

Kroil, heat, time and patience. Rinse and repeat. Good wrenches, protect your knuckles. If you have nuts on studs, you may want to get a nut splitter, or chisel them off. Try not to bust the studs. If nothing is budging, walk away after re-kroiling. Haste can be your biggest enemy.

(You asked for advice. I, myself, usually get in too big of a hurry and end up busting more stuff than necessary.)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

As Willie said and add to that a 6-point box wrench
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Have you tried removing and flushing the heat exchanger and cooling system. Mine was pretty much a clog-fest, but a Barnacle Buster bath did the trick for me. Removing the HX and giving it some internal TLC also enables you to change the internal zincs. My 4D61 has run cool for years.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Cturtle
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: POCASSET, MA (CAPE COD)

Post by Cturtle »

DCatSea wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:41 pm Have you tried removing and flushing the heat exchanger and cooling system. Mine was pretty much a clog-fest, but a Barnacle Buster bath did the trick for me. Removing the HX and giving it some internal TLC also enables you to change the internal zincs. My 4D61 has run cool for years.
Thank you all for your responses-
I got the elbow off with ease to my surprise. It all looks good??? Next project is new heat exchanger. I opened it up with a coat hanger the beginning of last year, thought it was pretty good. So far I have done impellor, thermostat, checked the elbow, good flow out exhaust.
Should I replace the temp sensor or gauge? The alarm does come on.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Have you checked all those components with a temp gun while running?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”