• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull liner replacement - A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Hull liner replacement - A25

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

I have searched and read many strings on hull liner replacement. For those that have done this, what product would you recommend? Has anyone used this?

https://www.sailrite.com/HullBlanket-He ... and-M38-72

Thanks, we are trying to decide if we want this or foam backed vinyl. Appreciate any and all input.
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Re: Hull liner replacement - A25

Post by SalishAire »

I know this is not a direct answer to your question but it works for us: Since we have found fabric hull liners to be a great source for mildew to form .... we tend to paint our interiors with very durable enamel. On Hycinth we tinted bilge paint to a color that met our tastes and find it very easy to maintain with a simple wet wash wipe (or a vinegar wipe if mildew is trying to form in our moist climate.
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Bilge paint everywhere. I endorse this concept.
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mid-coast Maine

Post by LydiaS »

On LydiaS, all interior surfaces have been stripped down and painted with a non-gloss enamel. An old-fashioned Lysol mix spray and wipe down, or white vinegar for aggressive mildew keeps things clean.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I am interpreting hull-liner as what I call head-liner, and hope this is correct.

I just ripped out the head-liner on my A27, and I would advocate painting and not replacing too.

The head-liner had to be removed to figure out some rainwater leak problems. A leak in the forward cabin traveled 8' under the head-liner before it became visible. A leak in the back was horrifyingly from a cleat with two of the four nuts missing. It lasted 35 years, so you can't complain. A headliner hides problems that going forward I can easily spot. As mentioned above, they also cultivate mold, mildew, bugs, etc. I wish I had worn a respirator the first day.

Suggest keeping it simple and maintainable. I plan to do some light sanding and using fairing compound for a nice smooth appearance. Some folks have added wood planking or acoustic panels using furling strips for appearance, which are easily removable. On my boat the hull/deck joint will also need a decent cover, and I will come up with something easily removable - and a chance to add some color.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The WillieC was fortunate enough to be The DeLuxe model. The overhead in the galley/vee-berth was gelcoat. None of that rough side of mold nonsense. First Class.

Now the BC hardtop was another thing altogether that cried out for a cedar liner which gave us space to add modern lighting. But mainly to give my eyes a rest when reclining at leisure while the Starfleet Commander did her thing. That lid was ugly. I don't think ten coats of BilgeKote would have covered its sins.
cmoffatnc1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Post by cmoffatnc1 »

WillieC, ours is s DeLuxe as well, we are focused only on the hull walls in forward and aft cabin.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

For what it's worth, former owners of our boat did a major interior restoration sometime around 2000 or so. They used a white fake leather pattern Naugahyde material to line the inside walls of the cabins. It's quite attractive in my opinion. The overhead of the cabins (in nautical speak ceilings are the sides) on ours, being the early 1971 pre-Deluxe full displacement hull variant does have the "rough side mold nonsense". Those prior owners painted the overhead with some sort of white deck paint of unknown brand. Obviously mold is of little concern here in our dry desert climate where dew points are so low we almost never have any actual dew on the ground and percent humidity numbers are in the teens to low 20s.
Albin wardrobe.jpg
If your really want to go high class, here's an idea, oak strips on cedar backing. This from Gool Old Boat magazine:

https://goodoldboat.com/warm-not-fuzzy/

oak strip ceiling.jpg
Here's an example of a V berth with darker cedar strip "ceilings".

cedar ceilings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Sorry, I was thinking over-head and deck issues, and I am A27 not A25. Sailrite is my go-to for boat fabric advice, but everything is mold-resistant, not mold proof. As long as it can be kept dry I suppose. I do like the idea of removable liners in risky areas, where practical. Combo of paint and liners could be interesting.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”