• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 prop shaft question

Albin's "power cruisers"
SamNassar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Harpswell Maine

Albin 25 prop shaft question

Post by SamNassar »

hello all
just getting started next month to repower A25 with 3GM30F
Did I see a posting that suggested using a trailer wheel hub as a intermediate bearing? Would also take the thrust loads. My thought is to use agricultural PTO adapters to the new 1" shaft and a agricultural flange adapter/ to 6 spline AG PTO at the transmission end. with 2 u-joints one on each end of the PTO shaft the engine placement and alignment would not be too critical and the Yanmar soft mounts would be accommodated. I am familiar with the PTO drive components by way of my prior life as an apple grower.
Thanks for any input
Sam
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Albin 25 prop shaft question

Post by tribologist »

Even if there are advantages of having independent thrust bearings, the added time and complexity of that design work and install makes it very questionable in my mind. Making various adapters, shafts, laminating up mounting faces etc will likely double the time for the refit. You still need to have that bearing aligned to the shaft. Its also likely to be quite hard to fit in two universial joints axially. I think the ones used are typically CV joints? That said, if you decide to go ahead i have made cad models. I never got around to model the engine pan but there is a CAD model in onshape with the 3YM30 included. There are engine bed details in that model too.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
SamNassar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by SamNassar »

Thanks for the reply with your thoughts
As a new poster, how much detail and back and forth is in keeping with customary posting?
I am in Florida now and the boat is in NH, so I am going on my 77yr memory. I bored the 25mm shaft bearings to 1” and a one piece shaft from engine to propeller seems pretty long, especially with the yanmar flexible mounting.
If you are an engineer that knows stuff, maybe you can advise about a self alignment flange ball bearing to take the thrust load I picked the wheel hub because the tapered bearings take thrust. The agricultural PTO in minor offset is what I have proposed two u-joints back to back phased properly.
Thanks
From memory? Hull1143 1971-2
3GM30F year ? Transmission ratio 3.14? (From a sail drive)
Propeller 17x 15 RH assuming 1:16 taper
Thanks Sam
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Lol. Some posts are 40+ pages. Its much more meaninful to add things here than on facebook where there is no search etc. You cant wear us down. (Look up what a tribologist do..) Yes, shaft is on the long side but since you have a very large gear ratio, your shaft speed will be slow. 25kW at 7 mph is about 1800 lb force. My guess is that you have 1/2 that if even. There is a paralell discussion here on the stern tube, that has the drawing. One thing with the original shaft seal was that it act as a damper. Our had to have a support bearing fitted to minimize shaft whip
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
SamNassar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by SamNassar »

Ok
You are a engineer that considers, among other things, lubricants?
I am intrigued about the process of determining “thrust “. I have noticed that the 3GM engine in our application uses about 1/2 gallon diesel per hour @ 6-7kts. Diesel engines have a burn rate of 17-21 horsepower per gallon per hour, so it seems 10 horsepower will move the boat. If a deep groove ball bearing flange bearing has a thrust limit of about 1500# then one of those will work for my center bearing. For my convenience, I would like to have a 2 piece shaft one end at the propeller and the other end what ever inches forward of the flange bearing, then the PTO shaft to the transmission.
With “timed” u-joints and very little angle deflection, the shaft vibration would be minimal. Agricultural PTO shafts are also expandable length wise and easily cut down if the collapsed length is too long. Adapters for the transmission flange are available and adapters for the 1” shaft are also available.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”