• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modifications to Nordvika's electrical system and others.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Modifications to Nordvika's electrical system and others.

Post by Mariner »

Well, yesterday I did my first day of major maintenence on the boat (2003 36' Express Trawler).

I started by changing the oil. The specs say it holds seven gallons, but I only took out about 5, including the filter. It also took about 5 gallons to bring fill it back up. That doesn't really surprise me, but I'm a little concerned because the "full" mark is just a home-made scratch mark on the dipstick. The dipstick doesn't appear to have any OEM markings on it, so I don't know if it's really full or not. Regardless, it shows good oil pressure (50-52psi at idle) and I'm not worried. (engine is a Cat 3126B)

My next project was to install a RAM Mic for our Standard/Horizon Spectrum VHF radio. This is a second station with limited controls right on the microphone that is located on the flybridge. I didn't quite finish this project as I ran out of daylight, but I will finish it soon.

The biggest change was to tie the boat's four golf cart batteries (previously used only for powering the Freedom 25 inverter), into the house panel. The boat has two 8D deep cycle batteries; one for starting and one for house loads. To accoplish the job of combining and isolating these batteries, while still allowing each to do their job independently, Albin utilized a set of two, three-position switches. One switch was labeled "ENGINE" and one was labeled "HOUSE". Basically they each had the battery attached to the "2" terminal, and then had a link running between them attached to the "1" terminal" on each switch. By switching both switches to "2" they were isolated. You could start the engine (or charge the battery), and use house loads, but they would not draw each other down. By switching them both to "ALL", they were combined for charging.

This was fine except that I still had this bank of golf cart batteries sitting back there that could only be used to run the inverter. They did not tie into the 12V panel at all. So I started looking at ways to incorporate it safely. What I ended up doing was simply connecting it to the "1" terminal" on the "HOUSE" switch. I then moved the link wire from the "1" terminal over to the "2" terminal on the same switch. I can still isolate them by turning the "ENGINE" switch to "2", but now I have the ability to draw on the golf cart batteries for house loads (lights, refrigeration, electronics, etc...).

This does require some careful use of the battery switches, and I have drawn up a wiring diagram and some switching instructions (not all users of the boat understand this as well as me). However, I want to add an automatic charging relay between house and start batteries and eliminate the cross link at the switches, to make the switching easier and more idiot-proof.

This is the wiring diagram of what it was like prior to the modification:

And here it is after:

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with everyone. I will provide updates as to it's success or failure.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm thinking I will use one of these to link the batteries together for charging:

http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Prod ... 59&l2=7491
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
Did those golf-cart batteries come with the boat from Albin? Or, did you add them?
Do you spend alot of time on the hook? What do those batteries weigh?
Do I understand correctly that you now have ALL batteries being charged by the alternators? (I'm assuming you have two, right?)
Just curious about all this.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I was told by someone here (I'm sorry, I've forgotten who now) that they were not installed at the factory, but likely added during commissioning by the dealer. This doesn't surprise me, as the original owner expected to do a lot of extended "on the hook" trips. Instead, he never once used the boat (can you imagine?).

Actually, no, the golf cart batteries do not charge off the alternator. Well, they COULD, if I wanted to, but they cannot be independently charged off the alternator, so doing so would likely damage them. Since they are not the same voltage as the deep cycle start and house batteries, it would damage them if they were combined. They charge off the inverter/charger, which gets its power from shorepower or the generator. So, basically, we still have the ability to charge them at sea, but it requires starting the generator.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I have no idea if the battery setup on my 32 is common to all 32s, or any other models for that matter, but I have 3 battery banks. Through the switches I can use any bank or combination of banks for whatever I please.

Originally the boat had 3 gel cells when I bought it in late 99. I installed a 6kw genny. It's battery is completely independant of the others. I also have an independant charger & independant inverter.

Three years ago, being concerned about the age of my original 3 gel cells, I installed 2 more gel cells in the space fwd of the holding tank. These were set up in parallel creating 1 bank. 2 of the 3 originals were also wired in parallel for bank #2 & the third was left on its own as bank #3.

Much to my surprise those 3 original batterys, which are now at least 7 years old, are still going strong. :D :D :D

We do at least 30 on the hook overnighters a year. I seldom use the genny. Hate the noise. Most weekends it only gets an hour or so worth of use.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I grew up on smaller, older boats, and this is the first boat we've had with a generator. I'm also not a big fan of it. I can't understand why so many new boats come with electric ranges. But when you think about the fact that A/C is becoming commonplace on so many boats these days, it makes sense. As long as you're running the generator, you may as well cook off it. After all, it is safer than propane.

Still, I don't see much point in it. I've learned that the generator is, in fact, a more effeicient charger than the main engine. When all you need to do is top off the batteries for the night, it makes more sense to fire up the genny than the main. Especially when the main engine is a hurkin' thing like ours (1gph at idle). Also, with the climate getting warmer (and my natural under-skin insulation getting thicker), I've found the A/C to be of use more than I ever imagined it would be.

Still, I consider both the generator and A/C unecessary luxuries and and probably wouldn't have chosen to get them if buying new. I do, however, see more value in the generator, as the size of the boat increases. I think it's a good thing to have on our boat. Much bigger and I'm not sure I'd consider it unecessary. Larger commercial vessels run their generators 24/7 and use them to power just about all their equipment, in lieu of a large house battery bank and high output alternator.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”