• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaking Fuel Tanks

Steelhd721

Leaking Fuel Tanks

Post by Steelhd721 »

Hello All -

I'm new to this site but have had a 2001 Albin 35 TE w/ twin Cummins for the last 4.5 years. Love the boat. Over the last three years, particularly upon launching in the Spring, I have had a fuel-in-the-bilge problem. First year was due to a rusted through fuel filter, 2nd year I replaced the center tank due to pinhole leaks, this year my port tank is leaking. I plan to replace both port and starboard tanks and am looking for some advise on installation. I have pulled a couple of articles about installing aluminium tanks which seem to be in direct conflict with the way that they were originally installed (foamed in, no air circulation, etc.). Wondering if anyone on the site has had a similar problem and what they have done to cure the problem.

Needless to say I am ready to resolve this issue for good and was extremely disappointed this Sunday when I went to move the boat to my slip, and I again found large quantities of diesel in the bilge. Bad hoses, pumps, etc. have been ruled out - I think corrosion has been the culprit.

Hope you folks have some good ideas. If Albin were still in business, I think I would be raising a pretty mighty stink.

Thanks very much,

Tom :cry:
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

This topic was often discussed on the Shamrock owners board, my previous boat, because the smaller inboard boats have problems with salt water contacting the fuel tanks. The foam used to insulate the tanks from vibration and shocks soaks up salt water and corrodes the tanks while shielding the corrosion from view. Coating the tanks with undercoating or the stuff for pickup truck beds can make things worse because they eventually crack and trap saltwater against the tank causing corrosion that you cannot see until it is too late. A few owners sealed the whole tank with fiberglass and claimed that solved the problem. It takes some time but on new tanks it would be easier than removing corrosion before applying the resin. The rust you mention suggests you may have excessive saltwater in your bilge. Is the stuffing box leaking and throwing salt water around the bilge? A dry bilge will go a long way to preventing this problem.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

corroded fuel tank on a 7 year old boat?!?!?

What the heck is causing that corrosion? That's a very unusual problem.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Tiara/S2 Yachts had a fuel tank recall due to corrosion from bilge water, about 2000. You may want to Google the problem and see what their resolve was. My neighbor had his vessel recalled and was very pleased with how the matter was handled. I don’t remember the details…

Good luck,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Friendship II

Post by Friendship II »

I am going through the same issue now (actually just had it fixed). We have a 1999 28 TE. There is a plate bolted to the top of the tank that holds the sending unit and pick up/return lines. The gasket under the plate was allowing fuel to seep when the tank was full and the boat was out of the water and blocked high in the bow. Take a look at that.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I had to replace my fuel tank (aluminum) in my previous boat which was a Penn Yan. This boat did not have a dry bilge, and the bottom of the tank was shaped just like the hull deep v. My tank after it was 10 years old suffered from what appeared to be galvanic corosion. There were dozens of "pitted" areas wherever the tank was in contact with the bilge water. These areas began seeping gas. If you touched them with your finger nail they became holes. When I replaced it I had the tank made to where it no longer had the v sitting in the water. I had it squared off so it was about 3 inches above the water that was always present. I only lost about 4 or 5 gallons of capacity. Before I put it back in I put 3 coats of barrier coat on the bottom and up the sides. The man who made the tank for me said I should not have any more trouble. Hope this helps.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
William Rowell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel Tanks

Post by William Rowell »

I have a 31 Albin 1997 and posted a note about leaking fuel tanks. At this time I only have a small amount of fuel on top of the generator muffler directally under the center tank. I wipe the leak each weekend not much there but its steady. I pulled up the center floor and took a good look at the tanks and can't see any problems. Everything looks dry ??
I have a friend with a 32, 1988 that had to pull the tanks because they were leaking. I gues if it gets worse i will have to do the same. [/list]
William Rowell

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”