• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removing Radar Arch

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Removing Radar Arch

Post by RicM »

This past weekend I was pulling cables for my new electronics (I'd rather have hemroids) and could not get the GPS wire with 6 connector plug through the interface between the radar arch and the starboard side roof support. Figured I'd loosen the two bolts holding the arch and investigate. Well an hour of huffing and puffing and I broke off the forward bolt and succeeded in removing the aft. The arch wouldn't budge. Does anyone know if they glued them down with something at the factory?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Ric ....
When I added the mast atop of my arch I had to remove the 2 bolts on each side of the arch in order to pull the wiring. PITA, but please, no hemroids. My arch was sealed to the roof with a clear silicone and the arch mounting pads needed to be pried up with a small flat bar and cut with a sharp utility knife at the same time. have a line ready to tie the arch off to the roof grabrails. The sealant prevents the water from infiltrating down the wire hole into the boat. There should be a large terminal ring on a bonding wire that one of the mounting bolts goes through. Whoever initially wired my electronics never put that back on. It was dangling behind the starboard panel in the nest of wires just before going up through the roof. Check the schematic drawings for the bonding wire diagram here on the AOG site to help clarify if necessary. I hope this helps out a bit.

In order to pull the wires I needed to cut all the connectors off when pulling through and reconnect when in the proper place. For my comfort level I hired the local Marine Electronics guy for that (gps, radar, etc.).
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I was able to replace the arch mounted radar and running the cables took more time than it should have. I was lucky in that I used the old radar cable as the pull for the new one, but it took lots of tries and soap. In the process I did break off the connector at the end and needed to replace it (Raymarine sells just that connector to the dome).
I think that if whoever mounted the arch could have spent a little more time in filing the glass side.
As Pitou pointed out, the grounding line was pushed up toward the hole but was not attached to anything.

Good luck
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

The boats were delivered from the factory without the arch installed so the boat could slip under bridges on the road.

The original dealer attached the arch as part of commissioning. He/she might have used silicon, 5200, or bubblegum to bed the arch.

If it's 5200, you can cut it with a fillet knife.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”