• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

stern thruster for TE 28

scarbo

stern thruster for TE 28

Post by scarbo »

I had a transom-mounted stern thruster installed on my 2005 TE two years ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. I run the boat alone much of the time, in and out of a tight marina slip, and having absolute control of the stern makes an enormous difference. Let the purists sneer...boating sideways into a wind is great. It was installed by Cap Sante Marine in Anacortes, WA, and was their first one on an Albin 28.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Scarbo,

Welcome to the group. There was a long discussion about this awhile ago around here. Do you have any pics of your boat and thruster? I agree with you about letting the purists sneer. The sound of the Albin thruster is distinctive. Everyone knows when I'm coming. :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

I'll take some pictures next time the boat is hauled. And I agree with you about the sound of the bow thruster. But it's a great alarm clock for a sleepy teenager in the morning. By contrast, the stern thruster is almost silent.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Scarbo:

Would you be willing to share info on cost of the unit and the installation? Also brand and model number?

Thanks in advance.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

Richard:

The stern thruster is a Cap Sante Marine product, using a Lewmar 140TT2.2KW 3HP motor in a custom thruster box they make themselves. They replaced the single joystick with a double one. Materials were $3,305 and labor was $2,745. Three year warantee. They originally put in a 200A fuse, but it blew once, so now they recommend 250A. Information is available on their website, and Bruce McDougal is the main contact for thrusters.

It's an expensive add-on, to be sure, but the first time you slide sideways into the only spot on the dock, against a side wind, with barely a foot clearance on either end, you'll never regret it. It takes ALL the anxiety out of docking, especially when you run the boat alone.
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I so much appreciate this information, I have just reached out to this guy to see what he can send me for a Stern Thruster Kit. I am very good with my BT, also can spin that 28 on a dime, bumping my diesel. However, my Marina is on the St. Joseph River and I have a current moving me at about 6 mph, my slip is tight and I am sandwiched inbetween 2 yacht things that stick way out. I practiced getting my boat in and out like 20 times, but man it is not easy when that current grabs you. I have to think a Stern Thruster, in combo with my Bow Thruster would be the ticket to slip in and out.

Alan
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not a purist, but a stern thruster on a 28' boat? Seems a little overkill, doesn't it?
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

I don't think it's the length of the boat as much as the docking situation. Like Alan, I can spin the boat nearly on its axis without the stern thruster, but then I have to hold a straight line into a tight slip between a finger pier and another boat with less than 24" on either side. In calm weather, no problem. But with 20-knot south gusts blowing my stern into the other boat, an inside steering station, no one on board or on the dock to help me, and the prop thrust being the the opposite of what I need to back in, I'll take any help I can get, even if it is "overkill".
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Overkill? Maybe, but peace of mind slipping her into a tight area in a fast moving current, priceless... :)

Alan
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

Hmmm...mocked by a fellow owner - the site administrator no less - using crude sexual references. Apparently I stepped into the wrong locker room.
Consider me unsubscribed to this group.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Crude

Post by RicM »

Yeah, wow, that's maybe OK for the bilge, but not really appropriate in a serious discussion. I would not quit this (usually excellent) site over it, but that was a mistake by just about any standard.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Stern Thruster

Post by joe.baar »

Devastating for the entire group to lose the benefits of these contributions and this member.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Gentlemen,
Please check your mail.

And take a deep breath.

We are all friends here. Let's keep off-color comments in the bilge.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Alright,

Relax. I'm sorry that the post was off-color. I guess I figured I was being sly enough, but obviously not. So, for that I apologize. I should have made that post in the bilge, or not at all.

But, scarbo, I don't think I was mocking you. I think that I raised a relavent argument, which is that a stern-thruster on a 28' boat is usally an unnecessary expense. Whether or not you agree with it doesn't matter. It's a relevant piece of the discussion, as was your response pointing out that there were some unique circumstances that you faced. All I was trying to do was stimulate more discussion, which I think is good for the site as well as the members. We all learn more about boating and our boats by discussing as much as possible about our techniques and experiences.

As for my status as an administrator, don't think that has any bearing on the content of my posts. I'm just like everyone else here. I have opinions and experiences, and I don't think I should be prohibited from expressing them here just because I volunteered to help John keep the site organized and in line, nor should you be afraid to disagree with me.

I hope no one chooses to stop posting on the site because of something like this. Not only would this be a loss to the site, but I think you'd be missing out on a great resource for yourself.
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Umm, back to the basics here, my Stern Thruster arrived to my Marina today and they are installing next week. :)

The Fuse they sent with it is a 200 AMP Fuse, and I did ask about the 250 but they steered me away from it. Saying it was originally a 130 AMP Fuse, now they recommend 200 max.

Alan
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”