• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Pressure Yanmar

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oil Pressure Yanmar

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey All,

I know this question will depend on engine type and other variables, but I just need a general idea. Hopefully some fellow Yanmar folks will chime in, but if others post their numbers too that may help.

My father was runing the boat last night and the oil pressure was about 50psi. He called me and asked if that was normal, and I think it is - based on my memory from when I last ran the boat 2 weeks ago. There is full oil in the engine.

So, does this sound right? I have the 300 (or is it the 315) Yanmar. What are some of you other guys getting for oil pressure?

Cheers!

E.A.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

The 300 and 315 are basically the same engine rated differently. As far as Oil pressure, I have no idea...mine is in metric or Japanese ( I guess )...as long as it stays the same, I'm happy. I'm thinking about changing the gauge so I will know what it is.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey EA,

I'm running the Peninsular engine (The "BEAST") in my boat but thought I'd share my numbers to give you some feel for what might be "normal".

At idle I'm seeing between 25-35 psi. That picks up to 50-60 (usually right on 50) at cruise and WOT.

If I slow down very quickly my oil pressure drops low enough to set off the engine alarm but I'm told by several people that this is normal (the pressure drop, not necessarily the alarm). It always recovers within 30 seconds or so and I think it may be an over sensitive alarm, the oil pressure gauge always shows pressure of at least 15 psi.

Doug
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

28 TE w Yanmar 315

Post by JackK »

On my 28 with 315 Yanmar the oil pressure varies a little with RPM. Anything below about 2800 rpm and it is around 50. Above that it goes to about 65-70.

Now you've got me thinking should it change? It always has since new.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yes, your oil pressure will increase as the engine RPMs increase. I usually don't get worried unless it's above 90 at speed, or below about 20 at idle. The 15 at idle seems low, which would explain why the alarm is going off. But I'm not sure I'd stress too much about it. Just make sure that you're getting oil up to the lifters by removing the oil cap and seeing if it's dry or you see oil. Removing the valve cover to inspect for wear and proper oiling is not a bad idea if you know what you're doing. I try to do this on a semi-regular basis on vehicles where it's easy to do so (in-line engines), but don't bother on ones where it's not (v engines).
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks folks. I thought it sounded right, but I didn't have the number in my head.

Cheers. :D

Return to “Albin Maintenance”