• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

refinishing the interior teak

happytimes
Swabby
Swabby

refinishing the interior teak

Post by happytimes »

I have a 1981 albin classic. I wanted to refinish some of the teak where the stain is faded and worn out. I tryed to apply stain to these after a light sanding with 400 sandpaper. I found that the stain will not adhere to the teak. Has anyone tried this on their boat and if so what was the results. Any help would be appreciated. There must be something that will work..
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: refinishing the interior teak

Post by jcollins »

happytimes wrote:I have a 1981 albin classic. I wanted to refinish some of the teak where the stain is faded and worn out. I tryed to apply stain to these after a light sanding with 400 sandpaper. I found that the stain will not adhere to the teak. Has anyone tried this on their boat and if so what was the results. Any help would be appreciated. There must be something that will work..
What brand of stain did you use? You mention it didn't adhere. It's possible you didn't sand enough. I haved used Cetol with good results. I usually sand-stain-sand-stain-sand-stain the first time, then yearly light sand-stain for touchup.
You can use Cetol or any marine varnish with good results. Some folks prefer just plain old teak oil.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Refinishing Interior Teak

Post by joe.baar »

When I worked at a local boatyard we never used sandpaper finer than 80 grit on teak, inside or out. Also always used a tack cloth and then washed the teak down with acetone before applying any finish. I suspect the fine dust you've made could be filling all the pores and causing a lot of surface tension effects. Good luck with this project.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Joe,
Thanks for adding the tip about washing down the teak after sanding. I forgot to mention that and it is important.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “36/37/40/43”