• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

On-board Entertainment options

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

On-board Entertainment options

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

chiefrcd's comment in the "Where is everybody" thread about removing his TV seemed like a good topic all on it's own so I've started this one.

Our 28TE came with a CD player and 4 speakers, nothing else. Right off the bat I considered replacing it with a unit that has a remote at the helm, I REALLY miss the one I had on my old boat.

Once I started thinking about upgrading though I thought about what it would take to add video. There are plenty of units out there that have a DVD player and a built in screen, but the screen is tiny and it would be in a poor place for viewing if I put it in the same place as my existing one (over the hanging locker).

I did find a JVC unit, can't recall the model number but I'll post it when I find it, that has a DVD player and Video out without a built in screen. I'm thinking of getting that and a 20" LCD screen with a movable mount. Don't have any real plan yet, still need to upgrade the helm electronics but it's a fun topic to think about.

So what do you guys have? Obviously I'm most interested in my fellow 28'ers setups but I always like hearing what the 'big guys' have as well.

Doug
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I toyed with all sorts of ideas, but what I've found to be the most versatile is a laptop. I happen to have a very nice, home entertainment oriented laptop. It has Windows Media Center, a DVD player, and a great speaker system. It's plenty loud. I would like to swap out the boat's CD player for one that has a minijack input so that for music I can pipe my MP3's into the boat's system, but as of yet, it hasn't really been necessary. Such units are inexpensive, and also allow one to plug in an iPod or any other portable MP3 player.

The laptop accomplishes a number of tasks:

Navigation: I have installed the demo version of Raymarine's RayTech Navigation Software. Although the free demo version is limited in it's capacity, I can still do route planning, fuel estimating, and look up tide and current charts right there, on the fly. If I stepped up to the VERY expensive full version, it would interface with the HSB2 network and serve as a full station for all our Raymarine electronics. I just can't justify the cost.

Music: I have a very large MP3 collection that I ammassed in college and since then. This is all readily available right there at he click of a button.

Television: Since I use Microsoft Media Center as a Digital Video Recorder at home, I can transfer television shows I have recorded over to the laptop from my home computer prior to leaving. I can then watch them on the boat at my leisure. Also, this laptop has a built in TV tuner, so I can attach to the boat's tv antenna or to dockside cable and watch (and pause, rewind, and record) live tv.

Movies: For the most part, I get my movies online in the less than perfectly legal fashion. These movies take up about 700 to 1400MB and I can transfer them to the laptop and watch them at my leisure on the boat, or anywhere else (like in a hotel or on an airplane). The laptop also has a DVD player, which, if it weren't currently broken, would allow me to watch DVD's as well.

Internet: Coupled with my Verizon Wireless Mobile Office kit (a $30 cord that allows me to connect my phone to my computer), I can get internet anywhere I can get a wireless signal (pretty reliable in these parts), and the only cost is regular plan minutes. Additionally, many marinas have wireless networks. Not to mention the many unsecured ones out there. You'd be surprised how many waterfront homes have unsecured wireless networks. This allows me to get detailed weather reports that include satellite and radar images, NOAA data bouy info, and (this is new), the precise location of every vessel in the Washington State Ferry fleet. Not to mention, I can check my email and watch a Google Video of someone getting hit in the family jewels with a baseball while anchored in some of the most beautiful locations in North America.

The primary benefit of the laptop over other, built-in options is it's flexibility. I can do all of the same things with just one device. The best part, is it's not just for the boat. I can do all the same things when in the RV, when traveling out of town, on an airplane, or even when riding as a passenger in a car if I really wanted to. I even use the same laptop for road navigation on long trips in my Tahoe (I have RAM Tough-Tray in the center console). Then, I can bring it in the house with me where it's not only safe and secure, but I can also load it up with new movies and music for the next trip.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I keep toying with the idea of installing a subwoofer in the space fwd of the helm inside the bridge combing.

What stops me is the amount of power that is needed to drive the thing. I spend long periods on the hook & I don't like the noise of the genny which would be needed to keep the batterys in good shape with the subwoofer & its amp going.

I think we will be happy with things as they are, a decent off the shelf system & Sirius radio.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Well, I found a flat screen TV that's under the counter mounted. Got a great price off of Amazon, so I'm going to install it this week I hope. I already have a nice stereo/cd player that the previous owner installed. It's a Marine Clarion (sp?) but I rarely use it. In fact the only reason I want a TV with DVD is that I'm staying on my boat three days a week when I work in Deltaville and I'd at least like to be able to keep up with all the news. Will take a few pics after it's installed. The tv that I took off had a VCR and was very heavy.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I haven't read through this whole discussion so if this was stated all ready I apologize. Anyway, Sirius satellite radio is the next entertainment upgrade I do on both boats. I have it now in my car, office, and home and I can't imagine life w/o it. The Jimmy Buffet channel is great!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm currently sitting here in the main salon aboard the Nordvika in Roche Harbor here near the Canadian border. I'm posting courtesy of our BroadBand eXpress (BBX) account, which services most of the marinas in our area. What a treat to have acces to albinowners.net in the middle of my vacation! This is why the laptop computer is such a versatile on-board entertainment option.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

My mid week project before the tropical storm showed up. This is a Coby Electronics under cabinet TV/FM/AM/DVD/CD player. Found it on Amazon.com about half price for what I found a similar 10" AudioVox. I removed the 13" VCR and moved the shelf up to accomodate this install. So far I'm very pleased.

Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Chief,

that looks great! I wish I had the TV cabinet in mine. I need to figure out a place to hang one. It's amazing how small these flat screens have gotten.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

One issue is that there isn't a square corner, roof line or side area that is truly "square". I would imagine all of the TE models are that way but almost every area is tapered, slanted or rounded....makes for some interesting installs.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “General Discussion”