• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruised around the Statue of Liberty today

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cruised around the Statue of Liberty today

Post by zinbaad »

What a gorgeous day the first voyage since picking up Mahalo last monday (the 100plus mile trip) Sun was out , its about 35 degrees out, wind was light and waters were protected by Sky Scrapers of Manhattans East side. This time I was running at 14 knots with the out going tide down along the East River past the United Nations under the Brooklyn Bridge past the Seaport then the Staten Island Ferry & there she was, standing tall, glistening all green & gold on this beautiful sun filled November day. After a few moments sharing & savouring the moment with my wife, kids and friends we went up the Hudson to pay homage the the World Trade Center site & seeing the Winter Garden stood back reflecting on just how fortunate grateful we really are. After all it is Thanksgiving week & what better time to share the moment ,priceless.
After days like this in the Albin 31,slowing down a bit,enjoying life, cruising along in comfort, taking in he sites & the feeling of its safety security, I think I can get used to this real fast.. My old Wellcraft & its speed seems like a., distant memory.
I think you guys might just be right, Cant wait til next season starts..
Happy Thanksgiving to All
Last edited by zinbaad on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Cruised arount the Statue if Liberty today

Post by jcollins »

Well said. A nice description of your day. Glad to hear the love affair with the TE continues.

Pictures?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cruised arount the Statue of Liberty today

Post by zinbaad »

Working on pics soon, just have to figure how to up load them toi share
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Cruised around the Statue of Liberty today

Post by Veebyes2 »

Zimbaad, there are a number of ways to put pics online. The most important thing is to get them down to a decent file size so that they do not take forever to load when people access them. Also get them to a size of around 640X480 so that they fit on screens.

I do it in a few steps.

Copy full size pics into a new folder (that way if I screw up I still have the originals)
Using pic management software, photoshop or lots of others, maybe came with camera, reduce pics to size for internet.
Set up account in Photobucket or another free hosting site.
Copy pics to that host
From that host you can select & post them here or anywhere else.

There is something special about cruising NY harbour in a private boat. We did it a few years ago during a 1 week shakedown cruise aboard a friends Sabre 42. We went up the Hudson a little way before returning to Liberty Landing for the night & on to Exxex, CT the next day.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Veebyes gave you a good tutorial how to upload to Photobucket. Mariner also summarized how to upload pictures in the Pictures Forum. Plus you can upload directly to this site. It will create a thumbnail photo within your message. When you click on the picture it will open into whatever picture program you are using. I have noticed that the new software opens pictures within the same window. This can be avoided by holding down the CTRL key and clicking on the picture. That will force it to open in a new tab or window.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned in my tutorial about uploading pictures, but there is a much more efficient way to resize pictures than by using Photoshop. If you are running Windows XP, you can download Microsoft's Image Resizer Powertoy. Just go to www.microsoft.com and search for "image resizer" and it will give you a link to the powertoys download site. This is one of those little projects that programmers like to do in their spare time at work and that Microsoft endorses enough to let them put it on their website, but not enough to ship it with the software. Go figure. Anyway, it's a great little tool. Once it's installed, you just go to the folder where your pictures are stored and you can select them all and right-click and resize them all at once.

If you are running Vista, the Microsoft Powertoy won't work, but you can download the third party VSO Image Resizer for free instead. It actually works better, in my opinion, as it gives you the ability to specify file naming schemes as well as some other unique features. Just go to Google and search for "VSO Image Resizer".

Both programs are virus and spyware free. I think VSO might come bundled with the Google Toolbar, but you can choose not to install it, and there are no ill effects. I've been using both of these pieces of software for years.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Happy Turkey day to all also.
Zinbaad, I always wanted to take a spin around Manhattan but have heard horror stories about submerged pilings and such. I take it you have done this before with no bad events...

Glad to hear you are using the boat, I was sure last week was it, heck I forgot to winterize my salt water washdown and it froze. Good thing its getting warm again this week. Have a good time, hope to see you out there soon.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I guess I have been pretty lucky not hitting anything. Perhaps along the Brooklyn side of East River and west side of Manhatten I see old piling from the old docks but I have been on & off boating since I was 14 and only saw a tele pole float by once in Hells Gate. I guess like in any river especially after a heavy rain or super high tide it would be wise to keep eyes wide open. I am taking my brother and a few out Thanksgiving morning, might drop a few chunks near Hells Gate to see if I can tag the last striper going up the Hudson. One more time this Sunday and I think its time to haul. I have been calling around for dry dock but open for suggestions.. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Zinbaad, It's time you start posting some pics. Between that pretty boat of yours and the sites around Manhattan we'd love to see some. I'll be in Corona tomorrow....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

Zinbaad - best wishes with the new Albin. Now I'm curious about the 31 after owning a 28TE only since June!
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I've been around Manhatten several times and never hit anything. I've seen a couple of logs and a car bumper floating (no car attached lol) but that's about it.
It's not as bad as people tend to believe.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Hey Rob. Since your in Corona tomorrow why dont you just stop on by & please check on my baby again all tied up there across from Shea (oops Citifield) Stadium One slip over from the gas dock.. Actually I will be going out on "Mahalo" around 930 to take my brother & friends for a quick cruise before the festivities.
I promise I'll get some pics up soon. XXX
Happy Turkey Day to All.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Zinbaad I am in College Point for T-day and took a ride over to your marina. Did not see your boat so guessing you are on your cruise, hope its going great, its a little windy but a nice day !
I take it the red pickup with the bass stickers is yours ! I have a tuna sticker on my trucks rear window :wink:

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Hey Matt,
Sorry i missed you. Yes that was my red truck in the lot.. I took out my brother & inlaw about 930 & back 1230. Showed them the Gold Coast, Execution & Steppinstone Lighthouses, civil war prisons on Harts Island Fort Schuyler Fort Totten & the entire water front we grew up on. Bit breezy but they loved the Albin and its cozy closed cabin'. Give me a shout next time your in town.. Hope you had a great day with the family
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Cruising”