• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

just ordered a Honda 2000 Companion generator

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

just ordered a Honda 2000 Companion generator

Post by zinbaad »

After kicking around the thought of buying a diesel generator (about $9-10,000) I decided with the limited usege a Honda 2000 at $1000 makes more sense for my needs.
Hopefully I got the right one.. The "Companion" model shows a 30amp plug which should hook up better to the Albin.. Seems to lack a DC connection, not sure how much I would need that..but with a built in charger on the boat a/c will work fine... I hope
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: just ordered a Honda 2000 Companion generator

Post by jcollins »

Many boaters use the EU 2000. I have two. One for the boat and one for our Airstream. I carry it for a backup power source/charger when we are on the hook overnight. (gotta have that morning coffee)

Quiet and reasonable for the price. You'll need some type of adaptor for that 30 amp plug. (I think)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I figured the cord from my shore power would plug into the Honda companion 30 amp outlet then into the outlet on boat... so all the inside outlets would have 110 power. The 2000i only has two 110 female outlets. :shock: But i have figured wrong oh so many times before.
Last edited by zinbaad on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

When I saw Zinbaad's comment on the "companion" model of the 200i, I said uh..oh.. cause I bought the 2000i regular model last year.
Not sure how this link will work but it shows the differences (30amp twist and no DC on the companion model).
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/prod ... ategory=sq

I have used it and it works well. The regular outlets lets me use it for everyday things as well as with the boat (with a twist lock adapter). The DC output is low (96watts) so I would do charging via the charger and only use the DC in an emergency.

ZInbadd, be careful with the gasoline storage, your diesel boat does not have ignition protected devices. Motors and alternators on gas boats are shielded so sparks from brushes do not go outside of them. On our boats these things are open so gasoline storage is a concern.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks Matt,
Ordered it from Mayberry in NJ, they assured me it can run on its own even though it says companion. No DC but but there is a Battery Charger on board so unless I need to charge a stranded car battery or other DC. The DC trade off for the built in 30 amp female outlet seemed to make more sense.
Thanks for the warning also, just need to find the best place to mount gen while on hook. Swim platform? achchor box area? any pics as to where anyone mounts?
I have to install a Carbon monoxide detector also .
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Swim platform seems to be the choice location. Turn it off when in the water obviously. Some have tried it on the bow but I found it noisy because of vibration.
The CO detecter is very important.
John
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Just saw this and thought of this post.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... rch=invert
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

We use the Honda 2000 watt generator on our boat also. I put it on a thin foam cushion up front just behind the anchor. I strap it down to the two cleats there and use a cover I bought from Honda to cover it when not in use. I made a cord from an old shore power cord and changed the end to a three prong male plug to fit the generator.
I use the on board battery charger/inverter to charge the batteries twice a day and I heat my hot water once a day. I found that the water heater uses most of the output from the generator so I shut the charger/inverter off while the hot water is being heated. Twenty minutes in the morning to charge and 30 to 40 minutes in the early evening to heat the water and top off the batteries seems like it is enough. The generator is quiet and very economical. I top off the tank before I leave and bring a one gallon gas can with me for a week on the hook. I leave the gas can sealed and out of the sun on deck, then once a day or so open the vent to equalize. I realize that a lot of people don't like the sound of a generator running so I do it mostly when people are away from their boats or at least when there is a lot of activity around us and the sound is minimized.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks Denis for the suggestions.
I totally forgot about the hot water heater drawing power. I am sure the 2000 will handle the toaster, microwave & coffee but I do wonder if the Gen will handle one or two of the stove burners (run separately of course)
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Denis wrote: I put it on a thin foam cushion up front just behind the anchor.
Denis,
Did you notice a significant difference in vibration? Where do you keep the generator while underway?

Thanks,
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My primary reason for the foam mat was to keep the black feet of the generator from marking the fiberglass, but I also noticed a drop in transfered vibration while it's running. I keep the generator right behind the mate seat while underway and the gas can wedged into the line locker in the starboard rear corner. I figure it's protected from sliding around while underway and the drain in the bottom of the locker allows the heavier than air gas fumes to escape and not build up. D.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Anyone know if when the generator is new does it gives off a bit more fumes before the breakin time. I have not run it aboard yet but it seems to give off some heavy fumes the first 20 min run time.. cough cough. Any one run full synthetic oil in it?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

zinbaad wrote:Anyone know if when the generator is new does it gives off a bit more fumes before the breakin time. I have not run it aboard yet but it seems to give off some heavy fumes the first 20 min run time.. cough cough. Any one run full synthetic oil in it?
Mine did too.
I don't run special oil. Whatever I have on the shelf.
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I posted a picture in the pictures area showing my boat on a mooring with the gen. up front. I use a nylon strap tied to the cleats to make sure it stays put. I also bought a form fit cover from Honda to cover it when not in use and while transporting it.
I never noticed any smoke or fumes even when it was new. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Post by brookesmith »

36'DC Liquid Therapy
I just got the 2000w companion off of ebay. It DOES have (1) 30amp twist lock and (1) regular 120VAC socket. Just for kicks I tried it out while rock fishing last Friday 12-10-10 with the main heat pump. Plugged the shore power cord into the 30Amp twist lock IT RAN the 12000 BTU marine air just FINE! I have two CO detectors. One in each cabin. I ran the generator on the back deck near the starboard side with the exhaust pointed toward the starboard quarter for about an hour with the doors and windows closed most of the time. We didn't catch a fish. (only caught 5 so far all season)And, the CO detector never went off. Couldn't hear the generator run over the sound of the Lehman. I have a 2500 Xanter inverter which takes care of all the 120VAC on one shore power cord. The other shore power cord has both heat pumps and the normal multi-bank 15amp battery charger. (So, if I were in a sweaty anchorage; I could start the generator;plug in the heat pump shore power cord; and have air conditioning and the battery charger would be topping off the (house) inverter battery serving the load of the other shore power cord that is disconnected;;;;;
or I can plug the generator into the main shore power cord and run all the normal stuff (hot water heater being the biggest load, hot water is supplied by the engine when underway); the Xantrex would charge the house batteries (and starting battery if i throw the battery switch to both). When we are running I don't need air conditioning or heat under normal conditions. So, I don't see using the generator all that much. But at 47lbs I'll store it SOMEWHERE. It is very FUME friendly with it's fuel cap in the closed non-vented position. It's in my basement now and I can't smell any fumes. (Of course I'm still leery of putting it in the bilge and probably will store it on the FB.).Still all in all a very handy source of quiet electricity.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy

Return to “Electronics”