• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 decks

seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Albin 36 decks

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I wonder if anybody can advise me on what the decks are made of. Are they solid fibreglass under the teak decking or are they cored? Would very much appreciate this information. Also how is the teak decking fastened to the superstructure. Is it screwed, stuck with glue or bolted.

Thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 36 decks

Post by jleonard »

Cored fiberglass, teak is screwed and plugged. That's where the problem arises....water eventually wicks past the screws or between the teak planks and gets the core wet.
The teak is also part of the structure...so you cannot simply remove the teak and be done. You need to build up the fiberglass thickness to maintain deck strength.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

That was what I feared. Would it be feasible to remove the teak, reseal the decks with a fibreglass coating and reattach the teak decking using an adhesive or is this just not an option. Do you have any remedy you can suggest? I am very grateful for your help on this.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

reseal the decks with a fibreglass coating and reattach the teak decking using an adhesive
Yes this is a good option...I have heard of others who have done it that way. If/when I have to replace some of mine I will definately consider that option. If you use an epoxy it will be waterproof so that solves 2 problems.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I have a friend who has an early 80s Marine Trader 36 Sedan Trawler. Same deck problems as the Albins of that era. Eventually he got fed up trying to find & fix leaks & just tore most of the teak deck up except over the cockpit. He reglassed it, painted & applied non skid. Much cooler underfoot now & no more leaks.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

I think the epoxy idea is great. I image I could get a good seal and finish with this and then re-attach the decking.
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Just thought I'd let everyone know about my deck solution. I went to the Excel boatshow in London and had a long chat with a company called SP Gurit. They produce an epoxy sheet that cures as a hard, flat surface about 3 mm thick. You can cut the dry cloth with sissors to fit the area you are working on. Perfect or re-attaching with adhesive, a new/restored teak deck or a synthetic teak deck. It provides extra strength to to the deck and cures any leaks. Cheap as well!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Can you post the link to thier website?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi, the link is http://www.gurit.com/sp_home.asp?sectio ... tle=Marine Hope this is useful

Return to “36/37/40/43”