• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Something...hopefully

Moderator: RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Something...hopefully

Post by RobS »

Plans this weekend include fluking Saturday and sharking Sunday........
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Something...hopefully

Post by RicM »

Rob,

Got a nice 30 lb bass out in front of Newport this week.I have never really fished the Breton Reef area south of the City by the Sea, but I am discovering it's great structure, clean clear water, and hard fighting fish. This striper was not the biggest, but was the angriest I have had on a rod & reel. She took me about half way into my 300 yds of braid and I was a sweaty mess by the time I hauled her on board. I seriously wondered if I had a small shark or tuna on the other end!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Nicely done Ric, sounds like a great fight. Would have really been a tough one if it broke off and you never got to see it.
-
Saturday we fluked from 8-12 noon in the bay (the ocean was kicked up) and ended up with no keepers but constant action of 18-20" fish. We used very light spinning set ups which kept it fun.

Sunday we had a perfect ocean and ran TOY-RIFIC 18 miles off. Steady action of blue sharks, ended up with 6 to the boat, with one being in the 250lb range, nearly as long as the Albin's beam. We had one Mako in the slick with one of our baits in his mouth. We had him on for a minute, he took one jump and spit the hook and never came back. Here's a few shots, not the greatest, with 3 of us on board there was no one left to be photographer, 1 on the rod, 1 on the leader and 1 with the cutters.... Maybe Matt has a few more shots in his camera.

The ride in consisted of a quartering 3'chop: Set the AP for the inlet and flipped on the wipers and we were able to comfortably maintain normal cruise. A great day on a great boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Never tried sharking. Do you keep the Makos? Perhaps you'll take me one day?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Never tried sharking. Do you keep the Makos? Perhaps you'll take me one day?
Yes, Makos (1 per day per vessel) of 54" fork length (measured from the tip of the jaw or tip of the snout with closed mouth to the center of the fork in the tail) are kept. Makos steaks are great eating, comparable to swordfish and often sold as swordfish at restaurants.

You have an open invitation on TOY-RIFIC.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Sword steaks and Mako steaks. Great eating! :mrgreen:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

RobS wrote: Maybe Matt has a few more shots in his camera.
Next time we setup a video camera and just let it run when we get a hit, I do not have any 'shark' pics, just the ocean and the fight.
It figures the one the got away was the Mako :evil:
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Fishing”