• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Capacity for Albin 27

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Capacity for Albin 27

Post by Dave »

Anyone know the official capacity of a 27, all I have on mine is the serial number no plate of any kind.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Capacity for Albin 27

Post by joe.baar »

I'm pretty sure these boats do not have an "official capacity" rating in law, and therefore no plate showing that number will exist. I believe limitations of this kind generally apply only to "open" boats. Albins contain enclosed "tonnage" volume (100 cubic feet = 1 ton) which means law and the Coast Guard view the number of passengers they can carry in a different way. Life jackets for each person on board are the only requirement I know of.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Capacity for Albin 27

Post by fairtide »

According the NYS Boater's Guide, boats less than 21 feet should have capacity plates. As boats that are used in NY are often manufactured for sale elsewhere, this is probably a regulation that applies across the board. Your A27 will not have a capacity plate. When your freeboard is reduced to where water is sloshing over the rubrail, you know that you've passed the weight limit by more than is reasonable.
Have fun and keep in mind that it's nice to have some elbow room while boating. Also, having all those PFDs could be a problem as they also take up room aboard.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”