• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

samson post rot

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

samson post rot

Post by brookesmith »

The 1978 36' we are looking at to purchase has a rotted samson post and the surrounding deck is compromised . Has anyone DIY replaced a samson post? How about repairing the surrounding deck? This is the worst area of this neglected boat.

Brooke & Susan Smith
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: samson post rot

Post by jleonard »

Just remember the cardinal rule of thumb....you will only see the TIP of the iceberg.
There is more rot than you'll find on an inspection.
Past that I would use a standard 4x4 as a post. Mine is a teak 4x4 with a stainless cap and a large cleat mounted at the base. Some I've seen are sanded to a contour and have a "dowel pin" thru the post to secure the lines.
Either should be easy to make.
The deck I would replace and fiberglass, not reinstall the teak planking. Will be a great time to re do the anchor rode locker into something more user friendly.
I wpersonally would not be afraid of the project. I've done a lot on previous boats with figerglass. You can make it stronger than original without too much work.
Good luck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
happytimes
Swabby
Swabby

Re: samson post rot

Post by happytimes »

I had to replace mine a few years back. It turned out to be a much bigger job then i expected. If I remember it extends about 8-10 inches below the anchor locker. It was encased in fiber glass. I had to take off some of the forward teak panels to access it. I used an oak 4 by 4 to replace it. The hardest part was getting to the bottom of the post. When I replaced it I made the access to the locker larger with a teak hatch. It was a job getting the post out of the fiber glass. Had to use a saw all. If you have any other questions let me know... good luck
Bob

Return to “36/37/40/43”