• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A cruise to Rock Hall?

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

A cruise to Rock Hall?

Post by KathyN »

We will be moving our Albin 31 from the Sassafras River this weekend to its "home base" on Kent Island, and are looking for a pleasant overnight anchorage "on the way". We could just simply go our cruising speed of 22mph and "get there", but want the getting there to be part of the fun--and cruising is why we bought the boat! I know several of you keep your Albins in Rock Hall; how would it be as an overnight anchorage? Do you have many sea nettles? Are there any cloeby alternative anchorages that you might suggest as an alternative? We could always go to one of our all-time favorite anchorages at Cackaway Island on the Chester River, but would love to go somewhere new. Actually, we've anchored at Rock Hall before, but I think it was at least 20 years ago! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

This will be our first night at anchor, and we' are SO looking forward to it!

KathyN
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: A cruise to Rock Hall?

Post by jcollins »

Rock Hall is a great destination. We had our 2008 rendezvous at Haven Harbor Marina. If your not into staying at the marina, as you come into Swan Creek across from Haven Harbor (to port) will be a nice place to drop the hook.
Swan Creek is on your port side before you enter the harbor breakwater.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

Thanks John! How are the sea nettles this time of year? Any possibility of a swim?

KathyN
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

Thanks! What a great website!

KathyN
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

Great Oak is between the Sassafras and Rock Hall, great anchorage and no sea nettles. Have a great weekend on the bay. Will keep an eye out for you.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

We ended up deciding on FAIRLEE CREEK for our "intermediate stop" between Sassafras River and Kent Island; WOW, what a scene! We made it IN through the entrance past the Tiki Bar scene and the masses of people in many different conditions (as in, sober.....or not).........on Labor Day Weekend, whew.....a wild place.........and we anchored in the middle of the pack, so to speak, thinking that it would be "safest" there depth-wise, and we really enjoyed the people watching opportunities and the swimming. Then we got OUT pretty well, through the narrow channel---there was a huge trawler that decided mid-stream NOT to go in and he did a 180 right in the channel and followed us out.

Then we went to our new home port on Crab Alley Bay and dropped our son and daughter-in-law off and went right back out and over to the Wye River, where we anchored for the night, just the two of us. Today, we returned to Crab Alley Bay and tied our boat up at her new home port.........to return in a couple of days. Can't wait!!

Great boat! Beautiful to look at and handles the waters and winds of the Chesapeake Bay beautifully.........we feel like we are embarking on a new adventure!

KathyN :D :D :D
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

That run 20' off the beach is a little scary the first few times. Then the 90 degree turn to starboard can be daunting. My I/O was always a little squirrelly going through there but our Albin handles very well.
We made it IN through the entrance past the Tiki Bar scene and the masses of people in many different conditions (as in, sober.....or not).........on Labor Day Weekend, whew.....a wild place.........
Rum-runners "floated". Good drink!
http://mearsgreatoaklanding.com/jellyfish-joels/

We were there last weekend and Richard (Wye Tug) called me Monday. He was on his way.
John
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

We pulled into Fairlee Creek about noon on Monday and the place was jumping and full of anchored boats. Quite a scene. You have to see (and hear) it to believe it We anchored away from the pack (the creek is 4 to 5 ft deep for quite a ways in) but could still hear the band load and clear. By five or six the music stopped and the boats started leaving. We had a quiet night and the next morning the place was dead with only a few boats left. Kind of empty and sad. We will have to return and dinghy in when things are in full swing to really experience the place. It looks like a lot of fun on the beach and at Jelly Fish Joels. A must see destination!
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

I agree......and we too have decided we will return and "dinghy in" and really experience Fairlee Creek. Your description sounds like our experience--except we left Monday around noon and the boats were still arriving!! I have one or two photos I took I'd love to post but don't know how.....I thought I could use just a link, but that doesn't seem to work....any suggestions?

KathyN
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

KathyN wrote:I agree......and we too have decided we will return and "dinghy in" and really experience Fairlee Creek. Your description sounds like our experience--except we left Monday around noon and the boats were still arriving!! I have one or two photos I took I'd love to post but don't know how.....I thought I could use just a link, but that doesn't seem to work....any suggestions?

KathyN
There are a couple of ways to post photos. Read the first post in the Pictures forum or "When creating a new message you will see a "Add an Attachment" section. Browse to the file on your PC, add a comment, and click on Add Attachment. Easy... "
John

Return to “Cruising”