• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking to purchase a 32+2

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halfboat

Looking to purchase a 32+2

Post by Halfboat »

Hi everyone. I am look to purchase a used 32 command bridge and I have a few questions. First off, I have been doing a bunch of research and feel that this is an amazing design that has so many uses. My questions are:

-What engine? Everything I have read seems to point toward the Yanmar, then the Cummins and last, the Cat. Does anyone have good insight on what engine/ HP rating to look for? Why? I know that there are little tidbits about each here and there in the forum, but is there a direct comparison out there?

-What are the advantages of the +2 if any over the older 32. What year did they start making the +2, and when did the 35 come about? I can't seem to find the history on the command bridge, or reviews for that matter. Owners seem to love them.

-What is the general cost to repower? Same engine vs different manufacturer.

Thanks for any insight. I have always loved the design of the Albins. Is there any other resources for finding used 32s other than Boats.com or Yachtworld? Or is that the best place to keep a lookout?
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlMar »

Welcome. I own a 32 with a cat 3116 (possibly for sale). I can pass on what I've "heard", and hopefully Andrew will be able to confirm or deny :)
The 32 is a magnificent boat, but it is somewhat stern heavy. the +2 was a continuation of the hull under the swim platform thereby adding some lift(bouyancy) to the stern. I don't know if that's true, and I don't know if it worked. The command bridge was then simply filling in the rest of the hull to extend the top portion. OPINION: This is the BEST 32 ft boat you'll find. Access, room, safety, comfort, you name it, it's got it. IMHO. Yanmar- quiet, powerful, expensive
Cummins- reliable, comparativly less expensive for parts/service
Cat- (Depending on which one you get) relativly inexpensive parts, fairly easy to get maintenance anywhere.
which one you want depends on what you want to do. You ain't gonna ski behind this boat. I was very hesitant to get the Cat, based on rumors. I (knock on wood here) have had ZERO problems with the engine since bringing it from the keys to Virginia. It is 350 hp and I cruise at about 12knots at 2500 RPM. Best of luck with your search.
AlMar

Return to “General Discussion”