• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What to look for in a 25 or 27, what to run from?

Albin's "power cruisers"
gregw
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Louisville, Kentucky

What to look for in a 25 or 27, what to run from?

Post by gregw »

Hello Albineers, I am doing research for a Great loop boat and the Albin is high on my list. But I'm worried about buying a 30 - 40 year old boat, regardless of cost.
My priorities are: (no particular order)

1. All-in cost = low (initial boat cost, any fit-up costs, fuel economy, maintance cost)
2. Single handling friendly (very important)
3. Simple for me to maintain on the loop
4. Dry and safe ride
5. Good cooking accomodations
6. Needs a windlass

The things I've read on this site, but don't really understand their implications are:
- Has a holding take been intalled and how was it done
-Hull number and boat year, any years or hull series to avoid
-Cabin heat
-Hard top
-new or updated gauges
-Windlass, I have seen some of them in the photo album and they look original, do they still work?

The number two boat on my list is a C-Dory 22, the cons for that boat as compared to an Albin 25 are, higher initial cost, higher fuel cost, harder to single hand. It's pros are, newer boat (lower and easier maintainence cost) speed when you want it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What to look for in a 25 or 27, what to run from?

Post by leprof31 »

I think a A25 can do all what you need. Very low cost cruising boat, easy to fix and maintain. The single handling can be hard sometime. Care about the engine... be sure it is in good shape... for the rest, just make the boat verify at first... a windlass can be installed easy if not already on.
There is no Hull number to avoid. The A25 came first without holding tank, but many have one now. (it is easy to fit anyway) Cabin heater is sometime installed, sometime not. Hardtop have to be fitted, they are not factory made.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Gene Currently Albin "less"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”