• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Broadband Radar

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Broadband Radar

Post by joe.baar »

The winter's project is nearly complete. Steps included, but were not limited to, sale of the AB 10.5 dinghy and Tohatsu 9.9 outboard last spring; purchase of a Northstar BR24 radome/GPS/M84 chartplotter for the same price generated by sale of dinghy and motor; relocation of new VHF and new chartplotter to port and starboard horizontal surfaces near pilothouse windows; removal of old VHF from companionway; replacement of old VHF antenna and damaged antenna wiring; removal of over-helm box and associated wiring and displays for 1996 models Furuno radar, GPS, chartplotter and sonar; removal from same box of associated wiring and equipment for compass and external brick-phone antenna; relocation of compass forward of the helm; shortening nav equipment power supply wiring by 11 feet and re-executing all electrical connections; removal by destruction of malfunctioning external transducer/speedometer; purchase and installation - in corrected location - of Airmar P79 internal through-hull transducer; purchase and installation of Standard Horizon GX2000 VHF and SW240 PA horn/hailer; installation of Northstar GPS in new location and associated wiring connecting to revised chartplotter location; installation of Northstar radar interface box, associated wiring and BR24 radome. I didn't have time today to flip the switch for testing but I'm pleased with how it looks from the outside:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Re: Broadband Radar

Post by Legacy »

Very nice. Hope it all works!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I had the Northstar M-121 and BR-24 on Sonny III. Loved it. Instant on, no radiation concerns of any kind, and great ability to pick up detailed returns close in. Coming in to a mooring field on a pitch black night you could pick up the mooring balls.

Post some pics of your new installation when you can, I'd love to see it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

<off topic posts moved to General Discussion> 8)

Return to “Electronics”