• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another Travelogue

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Another Travelogue

Post by RicM »

Although not specifically Albin related, I thought my fellow Albineers might enjoy my latest adventure, a trip north on the ICW from Charleston SC to Norfolk VA on a classic, 60' Trumpy yacht.
LadyC.jpg
We met the owners, Richard & Catherine at Wickford Shipyard and have shared plenty of pleasant afternoons over cocktails on Lacy C's aft deck with it's lovely summer breezes and fantastic view of the harbor. Richard. a master woodworker has spent several years (I don't ask) restoring the Lady to her glory, and glorious she is. The salon boasts overstuffed wing chairs, wool carpets and other decor that you might expect to see in an English drawing room rather than on a boat. After years of living aboard and restoration, they finally fulfilled part of their dream and started to charter her out to the well heeled of New England and the west coast of Florida. Now she is on her way North and Richard is always happy to to have volunteer crew, as you can plainly see from the photo, Lady C is a handful for a single hander, designed and built to be crewed by 4 with the "owner" lavishly ensconced in the master stateroom with no knowledge of the working elements whatsoever.

So today, Easter Sunday, finds me flying South on Southwest, heading to Charleston SC where I will meet up with Richard at City Marina for 8 days voyage ending up (hopefully) at Norfolk VA from where I am scheduled to return a week from Tuesday. I look forward to learning the ways of this lady, and spending a fair amount of time at the helm of a boat over twice the total length of our 28 TE, Time after Time, and getting some experience on the ICW as well. Check here often and I will do my best to keep you all posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Another Travelogue

Post by RobS »

Very cool. Bringing the Accurates? Is the head up to your standards?
Safe travels and do keep us posted. And photos too please.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Very cool Ric. Safe travels and post their contact info, you never know who might hear about a charter opportunity.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

II
Part of my mission was to carry a new gear for the Ideal Windlass (made in RI, all parts available 50 years later) that stopped working a few days before I arrived. A 6" diameter bronze gear weighing about 5 pounds made for an interesting trip through airport security. They could not figure out how I could use it as a weapon, and it was less that 7" in length so I was allowed to proceed with a simple swabbing to be sure it wasn't explosive.

The aft deck
AftDeck.jpg

Of course I was keen to see the windlass repaired as it would be my job to manually lift the all chain rode and 60 lb anchor if it was not operational. Richard met me at the entrance to City Marina in Charleston, a spiffy looking place around the corner from Ft Sumpter (Civil War, where it began). We got the new gear installed last night and plan to finish it up today.

The windlass under repair
Winch.jpg
Anchorage.jpg

Morning dawned sunny and mild. Looks like a good day for traveling. In for provisions as soon as the stores open, then off to the north.

The salon
Salon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Very cool Ric! Have a great time!

I'll be looking forward to your updates. I did a portion of the ICW back in November when we were moving a friend's boat up from North Carolina.

Say hello to Coinjock for me. (If you don't know "whereinthehelliscoinjock" you should after this trip!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Now that's a real yacht. When and where was she built? Two thoughts come to mind. First - some of my earliest boating experience were on an 80 ft motoryacht named Diana. She belonged to some friends and was kept at their summer home on the Magothy River. She went for a day cruise every Sunday afternoon and if you wanted to go you just hopped onboard. The experience really spoiled me. Second- I now frequently have cocktails and dinner in the old Trumpy shed where Lady C was likely built. It's now the Annapolis Chart House Restaurant. Times have certainly changed on the Annapolis waterfront.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

(If you don't know "whereinthehelliscoinjock" you should after this trip
:lol: I learned in 07 when I helped a friend bring a 41 Defever from Southport to Baltimore
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

We were crusing the harbor Sunday afternoon with Kippy Girl our 27 family cruiser, "the Lady" must have already been headed up the ICW. I am shure I would have noticed her, and would love too see her.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Sorry we missed Kippy Girl, but Lady Catherine was there in the anchorage off City Marina all day Sunday and she was hard to miss in and among the Canadian sailboats (we left Monday AM).

Getting out of Charleston was a chore. The anchor was hung up on some type of immovable object. Apparently the anchorage was once a mooring field and there are a number of abandoned bases in the muck. We badly bent the anchor getting it up and although we have a spare, it was decided to go to a slip in Georgetown, our next stop, and try to get it fixed. Georgetown is a great little southern town with lot's of history. The river is dominated by a huge steel mill that has been idle since 2009, but is supposed to be reopening "soon". Last night, after a nice dinner at The River Room (Shrimp & Grits! my favorite!) there was someone playing sax on one of the boats in the mooring field. He or she was of top professional quality to my ear, playing unaccompanied jazz for about an hour. Haunting and beautiful.

Clyde, the mobile welder, showed up at 6:45 to pick up the anchor so here we sit. The weather is still, warm, and humid. Perfect for gnats, and they are loving it. Us not so much. Will try to post again later today with some pictures.

Made good time yesterday even after a late start. Quickly got the hang of steering Lady C. It is weird to be charging forward at 10 kt and have no idea what's behind you. Every once and a while an 18 ft skiff pops into your periferral vision from behind and scares the crap out of you. Otherwise very peaceful. Lot's of dolphin (flipper) that are crashing bait and occaisionally swim along in the wake. Haven'y caught one on camera yet.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

We appear to be having a problem getting out of Georgetown today. The "mobile welder" showed up 15 min. early this AM for his 7AM appointment, always a good sign. Said he'd have to take it back to the shop, however. Said he'd call as soon as he get's it set up. It's now 10 AM and no word. Big rumbles of thunder and occaisional showers mean there's no big enthusiasm for leaving, but the lack of communication makes everything uncertain. I didn't hear Richard state any urgency to Clyde, perhaps a mistake.

Lady C in Georgetown:
CaptainHamilton.jpg
anchor amiss:
Anchor.jpg
Took a walk around town. Very southern. Pretty houses from the very grand antebellum style to gentrified "shotgun" cottages. A few of the shotguns remain un-gentrified and exceedingly eccentric. My favorite one was extensively flashed around windows & roof lines with many layers of standard issue gray duct tape.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

You must be having a time of your life...something that you will always remember. Good Luck and have fun!!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:...We badly bent the anchor getting it up...
Shame on you, a boat that size and no scuba gear, especially in warmer southern waters :roll:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

It's Thursday AM and we are headed for Beaufort, NC. Short run today, hoping to be at a dock by Noon. There is a major weather front passing through most of the east coast mid day today, mid NC is under a weather watch for hail, heavy thunderstorms and tornados. The wind is picking up from the SSE as we are heading across a relatively open area with only the minimum of barrier islands far to our South and East across Bogue Sound.

Bogue Sound
BogueSound.jpg
A wider view....
Map2.jpg

Last night was very peaceful for the most part. We spent the night in a cove just south of Fort LeJeunne. There was a large ramp wide enough to launch about 20 boats at the same time and a lot of military trucks parked around. Right after dark we could see green nav lights streaking down the intra coastal in front of us at a speed that made them look more like aircraft landing than power boats, and into the anchorage cruises 6-7 of some very strange looking RIB (rigid inflatable boats) bristling with 50 Cal machine guns and a bunch of very cheerful young men who appeared to be having a hell of a time. That, and the anchoring dragging after the first set was our entire menu of excitement for the day. Made over 100 NM, which will allow us the short run today and an afternoon and evening in Beaufort. Re-provision and laundry is on the agenda.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Rob: Do you know where you intend to stop in Norfolk, VA? I would like to stop by for a look if it is OK with the Captain.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote:]We spent the night in a cove just south of Fort LeJeunne. There was a large ramp wide enough to launch about 20 boats at the same time and a lot of military trucks parked around. Right after dark we could see green nav lights streaking down the intra coastal in front of us at a speed that made them look more like aircraft landing than power boats, and into the anchorage cruises 6-7 of some very strange looking RIB (rigid inflatable boats) bristling with 50 Cal machine guns
I think they're looking for you ... keep your head down. :shock:

Sounds like a blast, enjoy the trip. 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Cruising”