• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

In the Running

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

There are a lot of pros to the Albin 28TE. Too many things I really like about this boat to list. I looked at a number of boats and decided this was the one to own. I think it was it's sea keeping abilities that was the final selling point.

After owning one for almost 5 years, I can say it is a very capable boat for it's size. I agree with Mariner regarding the quality of craftsmanship. I consider this a con because I don't think Albin has kept up with other manufacturers when it comes to improving workmanship. I did see the new Newport edition and I think they have made some headway.

Overall, I think it's more like a sailboat than a powerboat. Which I believe is a pro. I'm sure there are a great number of people that have it on their list of boats to switch over from sail to power.

Its hard to come up with a list of cons. After all, it is a 28 foot boat and most people would argue the biggest cons would be due to it's size.

I would love to see a couple things changed on our Albin (which is a 1994):
Larger holding tank with Vaccuflush (might be doing this soon)
Better mattress - not very comfortable in my own opinion. Lots of great suggestions on this thread addressing this!
More powerful bow thruster (for those really windy days)

Good luck in your search!

Out of curiosity, what are the other boats are you considering? It might help the group help you with the pros and cons thing.
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

After spending the last 6 months searching the wife and I keep coming back to the 28TE. :D Being avid fishermen, Catching, that is another story, and also just spending a lot time on the boat the 28TE is an affordable option for us.
Other boats that we have looked at, Another Stabi-Craft 859, to expensive for what you get, C-Dory, want to get away from outboards,Nordic Yachts and Camano Troll, very nice boats but not in our budget.
We don’t seam to have as many to choose from here in the Pacific Northwest of the trawler style and I have only seen one other owner of an Albin post here, from Gig Harbor.
As soon as I get my current boat listed we are going to make offers on one.
Thanks for the many replies and Merry Christmas to all.

Don
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Thanks guys! I like the idea of adding foam since we still use the seats and table.
Owner of 28' TE
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Garygarcia, if you end up putting in a larger holding tank, please let me know where you found the room for it. I have spent some time under the deck looking for a spot but don't really see anyplace for a larger tank.
Denis
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Denis

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from a two week trip to Florida.

I will definately post a new string when this gets done. During the winter layup there will be lots of work done to Resolution (our A28 TE). The whole engine may coming out at a pretty major expense. I figured since it will be out, the yard would have an easier time installing a new larger holding tank and Vaccuflush system. I will only do this if he can insure there will be a great improvement in the size of the tank. If this is the case, I will make sure this will be documented by pictures and other pertinant info. I am sure other A28 owners would be interested in this.

BTW, nothing is wrong with the Peninsular, it's the shaft seal that is causing me to have the engine removed. My mechanic has been warning me that it would be necessary eventually to do this procedure. Will be installing dripless shaft seal in it's place.

Will post as it gets done!

Gery Garcia

Return to “General Discussion”