• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Check This Out

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Check This Out

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Here is another site I used to frequent alot more when I was up North and fishing like a madman. I still have many cyber-friends there, but don't go there as often. Anyway, I sent this guy a message inviting him over for some first hand experience.

BTW, I go by 'somoan' on the boards up North. A stupid nickname given to me 15 years ago.

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewT ... c_ID=79436
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Very interesting discussions on the Albin 28. I do agree with the comment about the anchire rode locker, I have had the same problem a couple of times.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
tomcat rio

good link, especially the part about...

Post by tomcat rio »

...peninsular bashing :).
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: good link, especially the part about...

Post by jcollins »

tomcat rio wrote:...peninsular bashing :).
TC,
Get used to it. We are the lucky ones I guess. I still believe anything will last if you take care of it. Most of the stories are just that. Stories. Someday mine will break and I'll complain about it then. <smile>
Last edited by jcollins on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Interesting reading. Thanks EA for the link!

I primarily use Resolution (my 1994 28TE) as a cruiser and not a fishing platform.

Most people who see Resolution always compliment her good looks. They always ask how she handles, how good her fuel consumption..etc. But most often I get approached by 'seasoned' fishermen who are drawn to "the fishing machine".

They are shocked I don't fish her. My wife is allergic to fish and just touching them gives her a skin rash. It limits my fishing experiences with Resolution. (My dad has a 27 Boston Whaler for my fishing pangs)

I think the Albin's 'Tournament Express' line (26, 28, 31 and 35) are wolves in sheep's clothing. Built for fishing first. They added the nice creature comfort options when they realized more people were buying them for cruising.

In my opinon, what makes the Albin TE's such fine fishing machines is that they have huge cockpits for tackling the big ones, have a great pilothouse for protection and they are designed to get you home safely.

Since Albin came out with a "bling bling" version of the 28 (Newport edition), they should also come out with a pure fishing platform built just for fishing enthusiasts, maybe calling it the the "Canyon" edition.

They could save the fishing crowd alot of money on the options they don't want and focus on options that would make it a no brainer choice for fishermen. Instead of the fold down chairs, they would give you (for example) a fighting chair custom made for the 'Canyon', larger baitwells and a REAL flush deck where chum, bait and fish guts don't fall in the storage bin cracks. And built lighter and/or faster for those on the fishing clock. Just some ideas for an Albin fishing machine.

Gery Garcia
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

E A thanks for the link, it was interesting reading, of course we already know the good points of owning an Albin. There are always things in every boat that we would change to make it "better" but I know I could not afford the perfect boat. Different engine options and a cored hull are just a couple of things that give those that don't have one something to talk about. I for one have been out in some snotty seas and they sure did their homework when they designed this hull. No pounding, a smooth ride and a feel like you were in a much larger heavier boat, you can't ask for more than that. As far as the Peninsular goes, my engine runs great, thats all I can attest to, smooth, quiet, efficient, easy to work on, makes lots of torque, 640 hours and not one problem and made right here in the USA. So you can make your own decisions but I know what I would choose, an Albin 28TE with a 300hp Peninsular works just fine for me!
Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Capt Paul wrote:Very interesting discussions on the Albin 28. I do agree with the comment about the anchire rode locker, I have had the same problem a couple of times.

Paul
The alternative is to have your cabin smell like whatever mud stuck to the chain, and to compromise the watertight integrity of the cabin.

No thanks.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Mariner,

Good point.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

It is interesting that the fellow defending the Albin who goes by the name Leprechaun is the site administrator for Fish the classic, the Shamrock owners web site. He knows a lot about boats and appreciates the Albin's ride and quality construction. I had a Shamrock before the Albin and still like their Mackinaw and Mariner versions. I learned long ago that there is no perfect boat suitable for everyone. The guy complaining wants a no compromise offshore fishing boat and he can get that. I considered a number of the custom boats they mention: Seaworthy, General Marine and on the Chesapeake we have Judge Yachts and Evans where you can get a stripped out fishing boat. But I think boating is for family fun and the Albin is ideal for all around boating activities with the safety of the well designed hull. Plus it is a known brand with an excellent reputation when it comes time for resale.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi Russell,

Leprechaun or Lep, is a knowledgable guy about both boats and fishing, and yes he truely and honestly loves his Shamrock. Like I said in that post I think Lep did a pretty fair evaulation for the boat....even saying that it really doesn't compare to his Shamrock (I this he said something along the lines of the 28TE being more than 2x the boat he currently has).

Like you said there is no perfect boat. I don't think anyone is really complaining there either. Maybe that guy Polar does want a strict offshore boat. He did ask me about offshore capabilities in a private message.

All those boats: General, Judge, etc are awesome boats too.

EA
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It's funny. Aside from the Shamrock, I've never even heard of any of the boats they're refering to. I'm guessing there are a lot of boats built on each coast that are never really sold on the opposite coast.

I've been surprised to see how popular some of the northwest built trawlers are in other parts of the country (particularly Florida). Nordic Tugs, American Tugs, and Camano Trolls seem to be fairly popular there, but virtually unheard of in the Northeast. Likewise, many of the boats popular in the Northeast are never seen out here, such as Hinkley's and the like. Even Albin's are hard to come by. There's only one dealer up here and they seem to focus more on the Saberlines. I find this ironic, because it seems to me that the conditions and cruising grounds in the norteast are most similar to what we have here in th northwest.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I agree. Maybe we should start a thread which introduces some of these 'other' boats that we enjoy looking at. I'm not sure if it would be blasphamey or not - discussing other boats on this website.

I really do like those Nordics though....A shiver goes down my back whenever I see one.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The 37' Nordic Tug was the boat that we most seriously considered as an alternative to the Albin. We loved it's fuel economy and level of fit and finish. There was disention over the appearance; I think the fake tug look is hokey, but mom and dad thought it was cute. The layout is nice, but not ideal. Also, the flat hull to aft is somehing that we were wary of. It gives it that low fuel consumption, but also makes it unstable in a following sea. The Tugs are designed for cruising and that's it. We aren't big fishermen, but the Tug sort of seemed to assume you'd never drop a line in the water. There's not much usable outdoor space, which is important to us. Ultimately, I think it came down to price. The tug is a very well built boat, but the price differential was huge. It was hard to justify it on fuel economy alone, and while the Albin is not as well put together, it's still a very well built boat.

Personally, I like the design and layout of the the Albin. I love how it performs in weather. I hate the fuel economy and the fact that when we get heavy rains, stuff gets wet inside and I can't find the source. But to me, those things are a small price to pay for a boat that will get me home even when the weather gets really bad.

Return to “General Discussion”