• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for A25 or A27, which is better?

Albin's "power cruisers"
beauhebert

Looking for A25 or A27, which is better?

Post by beauhebert »

Need economical trawler for wife and I. Which size and engine config is the best bang for the buck? Is a trailer a good investment?
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking for A25 or A27, which is better?

Post by leprof31 »

For two, I think a A25 (with 36 Hp) is very good... 8 to 8.5 knots... The trailer is a best if you have to get long distance destination and short of time to do it. An A27 is good too, but the beam of the A27 may be a problem if you whant use a trailer.
ricks_albin

Re: Looking for A25 or A27, which is better?

Post by ricks_albin »

Both are extremely economical boats to own. I've never owned an A27 but my 73 A25 (MD3B w/3600 +/- hrs) has been very good to me over the years. Has been in the family since new. It rolls and pitches a lot, and I mean a lot due to its hull design. Under power it has a proper grip in overtaking seas but not so much in a following sea. If you chose an A25, look for on with an original factory installed sail rig for better stabilization. The hull of the 27 is more of a semi-displacement design. It can move considerably faster than the 25 in an emergency but is less stable in rough seas. From what I'm told, if you keep it slow and steady you get a softer ride but in a rough sea I wouldn't trust it over the 25 (my opinion). Also just an fyi, I've reached upwards of 12 knots in calm seas after scraping off well over 35 years of paint from the hull. In the Chesapeake Bay I generally run between 8 and 9 knots burning only about 3/4 gallons per hour. Most all boats you find will have been re-powered at one point. The engine manufacturer and the number of hours run does make the difference. My personnel preference if/when I change out will be the Yanmar 3YM30.

Regards,
Rick

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”