• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

thru hull fittings check valve

gspier
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

thru hull fittings check valve

Post by gspier »

On my NSC 40' I have several thru hull fittings on my boat that have check valves in them. I have tried to lubricate these with WD-40. I am concerned with these check valves have not been working correctly and think it might have led to my grey water pump burning out. Can these check valves be eliminated even if they are at the water line?? I do not think there are internal shut offs for these.
NSC 40 Kot'ij
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Re: thru hull fittings check valve

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Greg, I have one off my boat now the issue is that they are like a metal flapper type valve which is used on some exhaust exits. They only open one way, from internal pressure. I am going to the boat tomorrow for some work, I will take a picture of the one I have off the boat now. They do have a large nut on top which is removable too, this could allow better lubrication. The one on my AC exit is always sticking but I cannot get to it without major surgery. My next best plan was the WD 40 , but it is like trying to wash your car while it is in the garage with the door shut!! You spray the outside but very little gets in.
They can be eliminated it is overkill , they are all above water line. I was talking to the marina manager where I get service and he said if grey water acts up, easy to eliminate it.
Galley sink is already direct overboard. That sump box we both messed with can also be sent right out through a thru hull, probably under sink and run the 2 right overboard.
Same in the aft head, sink is real easy and then just tie in the shower sump in the floor which may be a little challenging but not too bad.
Email you pictures of the valve Sat night. Was going to email you tonight , checked site and there you were.
AlbinNSC40
Craig
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

Good evening Craig,

Would you e-mail me the pictures as well? I would be interested in seeing them.

Regards,

yhc
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Send me a PM with your email address Yan, I am not good posting here.
Have not heard from you for awhile, ready for Spring and summer up there?
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

Am I ready for spring/summer...oh yeah! Are we there yet...oh nooooo! We are having a record setting snow this winter and hovering around 20-30'F still. It is good to know today is the 1st day of spring but it sure doesn't feel like it here yet. But it will be soon enough.

I sent you an e-mail w/ the info. Thanks Craig.

Yong

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”