• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Customer Service - Revisited

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Albin Customer Service - Revisited

Post by jcollins »

O.k. it's been a year since the board started. One of the first posts was about Albin's service. I haven't seen any negative posts lately so that means one of two things. Either it's getting better or everyone just gave up. Personally I have contacted Albin a few times and I am very happy to report that both Andrew and Ed have been responsive. I mention Ed because there was a very negative post about him last year.
I will admit that he is hard to get in touch with but everytime he has always been helpful. Most recently my wife contacted him about purchasing a new wheel for Afterglow. Ed predicted 6-8 weeks to order and ship. Sharon called him this week. He remembered her, remembered the order and was very polite. It arrived today after only 4 weeks. Beautiful! So, maybe I'm lucky or the tide is changing. I'm still hoping Albin will notice this site and have their own forum.

So...what say you?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

ONLY 4 weeks?

Post by AlMar »

In the days of the Pony Express, four weeks would have been pretty impressive. Do they have the Internet at Albin yet? Telephones?
AlMar
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: ONLY 4 weeks?

Post by jcollins »

AlMar wrote:In the days of the Pony Express, four weeks would have been pretty impressive. Do they have the Internet at Albin yet? Telephones?
AlMar
<smile> I should have added that it was ordered from Vetus, in Holland, via Albin.
John
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

Shortly after I purchased my Albin 30FC (now almost two years ago) I had an exchange of communications with Albin management about the lack of documentation associated with their boats. Unlike many other manufacturers, they do not supply an owner's manual nor do they supply any hull, wiring or plumbing diagrams. At that time I was assured that they recognized this deficiency and were taking action to remedy it. Nothing since!
On the general topic of customer support, I was left with the impression that the Albin Company did not want direct communications with their owners. Their policy is to have their customers work through their dealers and the dealers are the ones that talk to the company. (Like an automobile dealer.) In my case, I have found my selling dealer to be extremely helpful and responsive to the few issues that I have had, so I have had no need to talk to the company other than about documentation.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I hope that Fred Peters and all of the staff at Albin recognize that we want them to succeed and do better where necessary. The fact that this didn't turn into a b#tch session illustrates that pretty clearly.

As much as Ed became a thorn in my side for a time, I realize now that he was over extended trying to meet demand. When I took delivery in 2003, there were 11 or 12 other people expecting delivery too and that's just my local dealer. Ed was great through all of the build process but just completely ignored my minor (albeit extremely irritating) concerns.

I hope the trend for better response continues and that Ed gets to hear the positive feedback (Andy pass that along). I'm pitching for more Albin staff to become active here. We could be the America's Test Kitchen for Albin boats!

Jack

re: Customer Service

Post by apage »

Hi All:

Thanks for your input on customer service. It is a sticky situation to get involved with customers directly. We pay our dealers handsomely to service after the sale. Having said that, when there are specific problems, either Ed or myself will try to accomodate all questions and concerns no matter how petty.

As for the helm wheel, it was back-ordered which is why it took some time.

As for manuals, we are in the final stages of creating a manual for our 28. I agree that it is important to have line drawings and diagrams of systems.

I hope this information helps.

I am here if you need me.

Thanks,

Andrew @ Albin
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

drawings

Post by AlMar »

Good job Andrew. One small step for Albinkind, etc,etc.
AlMar
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think this forum has managed to close the expectation gap considerably. On one side, the customers did not understand the structure and arrangement with the dealers, and on the other side, Albin didn't understand the importance of a few customer concerns.

Once Andrew got on here and explained the arrangement with the dealers, and saw how desperately we, the owners, wanted documentation provided with the boats, the attitude towards Albin improved considerably. I think that this has brought the two sides to agreement, so to speak.

I still was very impressed with the way Camano Marine, the manufacturers of our previous boat, took a full-fledged interest in their owners. The company's CEO really went above and beyond the expectations of the customers by sponsoring and attending annual rendezvous', holding owners workshops where he and the production manager would go over the proper maintenence procedures and model changes, and by literally responding to individual emails and calls from owners who had simple repair or maintenence questions. It was by no means necessary for him to do that, but I think, in the long run, it helped him incrimentally improve his product to the point that it became top notch. It also bred a kind of brand loyalty that is hard to match. Ultimately the Albin was the boat for us, but it was hard to make the switch, knowing that we were giving up that kind of after sale-support.

I see only two ways in which Albin needs to improve their customer service. 1. Communicate to the customers that the dealers are their very capable and knowledgable primary point of contact. 2. Provide standardized documentation with new boats.

It appears as though they've done very well at taking the steps to do both of those things, and I am very impressed.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I am delighted to hear that the long-awaited manual for the 28 is nearing completion. (The 30 FC is similar enough to the 28 so that manual should cover the 30 as well.)
Andrew, please confirm that you will supply that manual to recent purchasers such as myself.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I think one of the biggest steps in the right direction has been the addition of Andrew to our boards. Not always will be get a answer to our issues, but at least we have a sounding board who cares about our concerns and for me that goes a long way. I too hope that Albin, as a company pays a bit more attention to these forums. Secondly, I can't say enough good things about the Albin Dealer, Deltaville Yachting Center/Chesapeake Yacht Sales that I purchased my used Albin 28 through, but I wonder if all dealers are as helpful, especially to second or third owners. I have repeatedly called them for advice and with questions and they furnished me all those drawings that I furnished some of our members for the Albin 28 systems. If all the dealers respond to their customers that way , then we've come a long way towards the customer services and support that we all desire and need.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've found Bellingham Yacht Sales to be very helpful. I haven't needed much, but when I had an obscure question about a leaky shower, they not only knew that it was a common problem, they knew the supplier and model number off the top of the head. Initially, I figured it sure must be a common problem if he knew it that quickly, and wondered if it reflected poorly on Albin's component selection, but he was quick to point out that it is the same unit used by Saberline, which has a wonderful reputation for quality.

My only frustration with BYS was that they registered for the site, but have never posted and did not respond to the private message I sent welcoming them.

I think manufacturers and dealers are initially reluctant to get involved in websites like this, but once they do, they realize that the owner community is a valuable resource. I mean, sure, you're going to get your gripers and complainers, but for the most part, it's a group of people who love your product and want nothing more than to tell that to other people.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

My problem is not unique. I am one of many that are 2nd, 3rd owners that did not purchase from a dealer. I (we) purchased from a private owner. Since I didn't purchase from a dealer, I have not contacted any dealer directly. Hence the purpose of this board. I didn't go through this expense and time just becuase I'm a nice guy. (in the summer, anyway) This board is a database of information from those that are much more experienced than I am. We all try to glean as much information from the seller as we can but I certainly don't expect him to answer my questions a year later. He has moved on to another boat with his own problems.
So an occasional email or phone call to Albin corp. should be expected. Even though Albin did not derive any direct profit from my purchase, word of mouth advertising is still very iimportant. As I mentioned. Lately the response has been good. I hope it continues and others are happier as well.
I should also add that it's great Andrew has the time to stop in and stay active on the board. I am still hopeing that Albin corp. will want their own forum restricted to members only. Aside from helping with issues it would be a great place for prospective buyers to get information. If that happens then Albin would derive profit from me in a round-about way.
John
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

John,

I think you'll find that the dealer that originally delivered your boat to the first owner, or even just the closest dealer to you, will be happy to help you. We bought our boat used from a broker in California, but this boat was originally delivered to BYS right here near us, and they have been very helpful. They remembered the boat and original owner immediately when I called.

I'm heading up to the Seattle Boat Show in about two hours and I see that they are on the exhibitor list, so I will be sure to pay them a visit.
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

Mariner;

Say hi to Dean and his son Matt @ BYS both are great people. We were at SBS Wednesday and made the decision that as soon as we sell our present boat, Sass Sea Lady, an Albin will be in the near future. 8) In the mean time black mouth salmon opened Thursday, today is a Wo#! day so tomorrow were opening our boating season and going fishing........

Thanks,

Don & Taunya
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Mariner wrote:John,

I think you'll find that the dealer that originally delivered your boat to the first owner, or even just the closest dealer to you, will be happy to help you. We bought our boat used from a broker in California, but this boat was originally delivered to BYS right here near us, and they have been very helpful. They remembered the boat and original owner immediately when I called.

I'm heading up to the Seattle Boat Show in about two hours and I see that they are on the exhibitor list, so I will be sure to pay them a visit.
Mariner,
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.
John

Return to “General Discussion”