• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

real boaters...

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tomcat rio

real boaters...

Post by tomcat rio »

...go to a boat show despite having used the last of their home equity to purchase a boat last year.
real boaters have never run out of ice, but have run out of gas at least once.
real boaters have secretly pondered the consequences of shooting someone with a flare pistol.
real boaters secretly cringe every time a guest uses the head.
:)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Amen...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Very funny Tomcat!

I guess I'm half a real boater!

Guess which two I can say is true to my experiences!

Gery Garcia
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

gerygarcia wrote:Very funny Tomcat!

I guess I'm half a real boater!

Guess which two I can say is true to my experiences!

Gery Garcia
Well, number's 1-4 ALL apply in my case. For you Gery I'm going with 1 and 4.

You strike me as too together to run out of gas and too nice to think about shooting anyone...I can't claim the same for myself! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Doug

#1 may apply to me one day, but as of yet I haven't done this. I keep eyeing bigger boats, but my wife is keeping me on a leash! She keeps telling me (every year) 5 more years then "maybe"!

#2 Is where you were wrong. I never run out of ice. It would be sacrilege to let the beer get warm! As for running out of fuel, I have learned my lesson on this one - long story.

#3 Forget the flaregun, I've pondered using much worse! I'm a nice guy, but sometimes.....

#4 Even after telling guests the proper procedures, it always leads to something I would rather not talk about here!

Gery
aka "half a real boater"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Those are all true. At first I was thinking the ice one was silly, but when I thought about it, I've ALWAYS made sure I had enough ice, even when it meant changing the schedule around to pick more up because it was melting faster than I thought it would.
tomcat rio

as far as the head is concerned...

Post by tomcat rio »

.... i tell guests not to put anything in it that hasn't already been eaten.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Real boaters never let the weather win
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: as far as the head is concerned...

Post by Mariner »

tomcat rio wrote:.... i tell guests not to put anything in it that hasn't already been eaten.
Many would take that to mean that you couldn't put toilet paper in it. While many people use way too much of it, through the use of the technique known as the "courtesy flush" TP can be safely run through a modern vacuflush head.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flush

Post by RicM »

Please define "courtesy flush" for a new owner of a vacu flush. In my old head we used RV paper made for holding tanks & blue "stuff". Is a vacu-flush different?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
TonyAmalfitano

Real?

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

So I broke out the SNOW BLOWER today. We have a BOAT LOAD of snow a comin' mid week. The good news is the bulk of the storm will arrive just as I get off work, and finish up on my day off. I won't have to deal with all the all those who feel they must drive, then crash. :lol:
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Flush

Post by Mariner »

RicM wrote:Please define "courtesy flush" for a new owner of a vacu flush. In my old head we used RV paper made for holding tanks & blue "stuff". Is a vacu-flush different?
It's still best if you use the special paper, but in my opinion, anything that isn't overly durable is fine. Because it's less durable, you'll need to use more, which means that users should get in the habit of flushing twice. Once for waste, once for paper. The foot pedal makes it easy to do this while still seated. The key is waiting until the pump recharges the vacuum before attempting the second flush.

As a side note, I've yet to see a clog that couldn't be solved by simply poking a long screwdriver right down the middle of the clog to clear the small hole at the bottom of the toilet (with the valve open). A word of warning, though; keep your face clear of the bowl when you do this, as the sudden rush of the clog clearning often produces some "back spray".
tomcat rio

real boaters ...

Post by tomcat rio »

..know you can get the 'boat show discount' anytime.
are perfectly satisfied eating crackers and Cheez Whiz for breakfast.
can climb a ladder with one arm.
can pack 30 cu ft of groceries in a 20 cu ft reefer.
can perfectly grill 20 hambergers in five minutes---at night, in a hurricane,with a broken leg.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Real boaters

know that ice is more valuable than gold, especially after 2 nights on the hook, no genny.

Are happy to drink the slightly chilled beer that sits in the slightly chilled water that was ice at least 12 hours ago.

Can eat just about anything standing up.

Do not let alcohol hunder their ability in stepping from boat to boat in a raftup.

Can argue for hours on which anchor is best then come back & do it again the very next weekend with the same people like the first conversation never occured. :?

Have thousands of reasons why the fish are not biting today :roll:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Amen...again.
John