• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

First cruise of 2013

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

First cruise of 2013

Post by Panhdjoe »

Left Rivers Edge marina N Charleston SC today at 1050 we are headed up the ICW. Travled 7 hours, just droped anchor in the S Santee river. we are in the middle of a huge swamp/wetlands it is beautiful here. Planing to grill burgers and enjoy the evning, our destionation is Southport NC. Kippy Girl our 1984 family cruiser is running great.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Chris & Dale

Re: First cruise of 2013

Post by Chris & Dale »

Panhdjoe,
One of our favorite marina's is Osprey Marina, which I believe is a little ways north of you just before the Socastee Swing Bridge. If you've never travelled "The Rock Pile", please take the time to study you charts and hail Securite' before entering at mile marker 366 and it goes to mile marker 349. Once you're in there, there's really no where to turn around if a big barge or commercial fishing boat is heading south. This is literally a narrow channel cut out of rock, and if you get out of it, you will damage your boat, sometimes really bad. That being said, when do you plan on arriving in Southport, and have you picked a marina yet? There is 2 nights free dockage at the end of the T-head on the city docks in the Old Yacht Basin. If you're wanting to walk to downtown locations, I recommend either the T-head in the Old Yacht Basin or Southport Marina. I'm working every day this week and won't arrive home until about 5:30, but feel free to call me at (910)352-8935. If you need to provision up you can borrow our truck and I'll give you directions to Walmart. We live at 422 W. Brunswick St. right in front of the Old Yacht Basin so you'll be able to easily find us, and Steel Hers is docked in front of our house.

Again, be very careful in the Rock Pile, staying in the center of the channel. It's actually best to go thru there at low tide.....you will be able to see the channel!

Safe Voyage!
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panhdjoe »

Thank you for the heads up on the rock pile, I have been through there a few times. I will be careful. We might make Southport by wensday. I will give you a call. Thanks again. Joe
1983 36 classic
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Joe,
Great! Having been through there once on the way to Charleston in Jan gave me just the right amount of confidence to come back w/o quite the anxiety but a healthy skepticism. Be safe & hope to meet you soon.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panhdjoe »

Left our anchorage 0720 almost got eaten alive buy bugs before we got moving, we stoped over in Georgetown SC for about 2 hours. We are docked at Ossprey marina now. Will try to make Southport tomorrow.
1983 36 classic
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Post by saltwaternurse »

Let's see Pictures! Sounds wonderful - enjoy - fair winds, following seas! Jane
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. M. Twain
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello All We made Southport wed eve, Due to Chris,s Busy schedule and only staying one night were unable to get together. Southport is a great little seafaring town, we enjoyed our short stay. We hit the waterway thur. about noon, its friday eve now we are back at Ossprey marina for the night and head for Charleston in the morning. Joe and Janet on Kippy Girl
1983 36 classic
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Joe and Janet,
Sorry we couldn't get together...it has and still is a little crazy around here. Work at the Brunswick Nuclear plant and we're in a refueling outage. Anyway, now you know the way and it appears ya'll liked Osprey Marina...I know we did. Ya'll take care.

Return to “Cruising”