• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2002 ET36 VA Vacht Brokers 149K

D.Gideon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Camden, ME

2002 ET36 VA Vacht Brokers 149K

Post by D.Gideon »

Hello group,

Anyone know anything about the new listing on the 2002 36 ET by VA Yacht Brokers on Yachtworld? Looks like a very nice boat. Seems to list a bit to starboard though. Any comments would be much appreciated.

D. Gideon
28TE Turlough
Camden ME
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: 2002 ET36 VA Vacht Brokers 149K

Post by joreyn »

It looks really nice. I believe that this boat was originally home-ported on the Tennessee River (Fresh Water). Search the site for "Balboita."

I noted that it has carpet instead of Teak and Holly. Not a big fan of carpet, but that's a personal choice. Also, does not have the cockpit steering station which is a great option.

The woodwork appears to be in great shape.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

It seems like most of these boats have a little list. I corrected the issue very easily, by moving the battery banks a bit.

Looks like it has a new refrigerator. That's good, because the older Norcolds were junk, and putting in a new one is a pain.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

I can confirm the slight stbd list. Apparently due to the galley cabinets and refrigerator. Also, for mine, I have two large 8D's and the bow thruster batteries to stbd, while there's just the house and gen batteries to port. There are some lead weight bars under the mid-berth to counter balance, but not quite perfect. I've now installed a flexible fresh water tank also under the mid-berth and plumbed it across to a new "Y" for the head pick up, fresh or raw water. This did two things: fresh water head and more weight balance when there's enough water in the flex tank.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

Ours has a list as well. The batteries and tender all on the starboard side do not help. I will have to look into the lead weight thing...interesting idea.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

I too had a slight starboard list at one point. My house batteries, dingy, and kayaks are all to starboard. More than half was cured by just storing the life raft and spare anchor/chain to port, and removing the heavier gear I had once stored in the shower. To fine-tune the trim I keep my spare cooler outboard of the ladder and fill it with water to the desired level.

On the carpet, I was initially not a fan either but now am sold. It hides the sand a water that we would normally track in from beach excursions, which tends to grind up a traditional teak/holly sole. Also, our 85 pound lab can get traction without clawing up a nice wood finish. A vacuum does a good job after each trip. When its time to replace it, I'll just unsnap it and use it for a template on its replacement. The deck underneath the carpet is nicely finished fiberglass like the cockpit surface.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
D.Gideon
Mate
Mate

Post by D.Gideon »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I appreciate them. Sounds like all the 36 ET owners are happy with their boats. Seeems like it would have much greater cruising livability than our 28TE. We do very much like our 28TE though - very versatile.

David Gideon
TE28
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

In my opinion, the 36ET is one of the finest cruising trawlers. Well made with good components. Truly seaworthy. Great at 7 - 10 knots, but capable of moving out when needed. Like the time I was crossing paths with a fast moving BC Ferry near Sidney, BC.

One thing it is not is an good fishing platform. The overall design of the rear cockpit makes it a great place to lounge around with your buddies, but it's definitely not designed for a fishing pole with a big fish on the hook. If I want to fish, I use the RIB.

So if you want to cruise, you'll be very happy. If fishing is important, take a look at the bigger TE models, or even the command bridge models.

Incidentally, I've done crabbing and shrimping and it's fine for that.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

joreyn: how do you store / transport your rib on board? I'm now considering Weaver davits. Thanks, Mark
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

I store it up on the upper deck. Have a Roskelly-Olsen deck crane up top to lift it up and down.

When we are out cruising, we tow it if we are going to use it a lot.
albin 36 Fast Trawler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

Here is a shot of the RIB stowed up top.
Blue Moon underway.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
D.Gideon
Mate
Mate

Post by D.Gideon »

Thanks Joreyn, we're mostly cruisers. Put a fixed bimini on our TE28 - really like it. Am looking for more live aboard space in that more time will now be available, and want to avoid the maintenance we had on our previous Grandbanks 32. We find the 28 to be a wet boat. What about the 36TE? Thanks again, David.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

It's pretty dry. Has quite a bit of freeboard at the bow. Of course any boat is a wet boat in rough conditions if you don't watch your speed. I am also mainly a cruiser, and when the chop gets bad I usually drop back to 8 knots or so, and try to fine the dryest course (that's also usually the comfortable course).

The 36 ET has great space. The cockpit will seat seven or eight, and the flybridge is roomy too. With two staterooms you can have another couple join you, or we used it to store supplies on longer cruises.

I too had a GB 32. Loved the way it looked. Not so much how it performed in rough weather. And the maintenance was a challenge. There is still maintenance needed for the 36ET, but not the constant varnishing.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

For those cruisers among you, D.Gideon included, check out A-List, originally offered here at 120K and now with a broker at 134.5. Has a large new refrigerator, ice maker, new water heater, two staterooms, inverter, generator, etc. look at it on Yachtworld, including a video, listed as a 2002 35' yacht fish, but equipped for cruising and can be fished. I would love to see an Albin fan get it.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

joreyn wrote:Here is a shot of the RIB stowed up top.
Blue Moon underway.JPG

What are you cruising at there? Power, speed and fuel flow?

Thanks!
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”