• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Screens For Bug Control

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Screens For Bug Control

Post by Pitou »

MY 1st mate says that's it. No see umms/ midgies and up my way in the marshes the dreaded greenheads of July until full mood high!

My boat has the hardtop and the Alaskan Bulkhead which I had a screen made for that, but more air flow would be nice when the bugs come out.

Looking to have screens made for the BOMAR sliding windows in the pilot house. Toying with velcro atttachment around the frame and zippered where the forward and aft windows come together and lock. Or maybe a wire rod type of frame that fits in the frame channel?

Any ideas??
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tomcat rio

i keep a roll of cheesecloth...

Post by tomcat rio »

...aboard as a back up bug barrier. not cool, but practical and functional.
A boater brings his boat up to a restaurant dock to eat dinner. The dockhand says,
"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't let you dine here tonight. This establishment has a necktie policy for the evening meal and you are not wearing one."

The boater said, "I'm sure I don't have a tie on my boat!"

The dockhand, not wanting to turn away a customer, said, "Well, why don't you just find something that approximates a tie. I'm sure that will be okay."

After some time, the boater emerged from his cabin sporting a pair of jumper cables. "Sorry", the boater said," but this is all I could find to put around my neck."

Sighing, the dockhand said "okay, I'll let you in with those, but just don't start anything."
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our Bomar sliding windows came with sliding screens included.

Velcro will require permanently attaching a velcro strip around the perimeter of the window which will get dirty and look unsightly. Snaps will not properly seal the perimeter, allowing bugs to simply crawl through. This is a tough one, I'm not sure I have any better ideas.

I would see if Bomar or Albin offer something. It's likely they do. Most every boat I've seen had some sort of screens for all hatches and windows.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Screens For Bug Control

Post by Pitou »

I had thought something would be offered as well. Nothing from Albin or Bomar. Bomar told me they have a 500 piece minimum. Any takers? :D
I don't think so!! Any way they sent me to their wire supplier who provides wire fabricated to size for BOMAR hatches and windows for other boat mfg. / they are ACME Wire in Mystic, CT. They told me the minimum
order they accept is 500. I guess I now know why BOMAR has a minimum of 500.
I asked ACME for wire, but guess what? It comes on a roll and you need a fabricating machine to roll the wire out and to form the bends. Looks like velcro maybe snaps. My canvas/screen guy is not thrilled with velcro either. Something will get done. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have had a glass company make screens for me in the past. They will, if I can remember, make me any size I want them to make. Check your local glass company, if they make screens.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Lucky for us bugs don't seem to fly over saltwater much. There is little fresh water so there are very few mossies. We have never had to use screens & as long as a decent breeze is coming down the hatch there is no problem.

I am not a fan of using candles on a boat but for years we have used old fashioned kerosene lanterns for ambient light on deck. There is no odor the we notice but the bugs don't like it like they might go after an incandesant light.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”