• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for input on the 26 TE

Texas Steve

Looking for input on the 26 TE

Post by Texas Steve »

I am currently looking to purchase an offshore combo cruiser/fish boat and keep coming back to the 26 TE. I like the idea that it's trailerable, yet it appears to have more cabin room than most boats of this size and utility. My intention is to use it offshore in the Galveston area, but also be able to use it on the intracoastal for somewhat extended trips.

I joined this forum to hear from others who have purchased this boat to get their impressions and experiences. What are the limits of this boat regarding destinations. Could it, for instance, make the trip from Ft Lauderdale to the Bahamas safely (assuming you followed a front across)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Texas Steve
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Steve,
I have never been on the 26. I like the convertible. I like the handling and speed of a I/O. I believe it's a 20" draft? What would concern me is the 8'6" beam. My last boat (not an Albin) was 8"6" and no keel. I knew it when I was in rough water.
The TE 28 has the 10' beam and about 2500 pounds heavier. You can get a convertible. After owning several I/Os I truly like the tracking of the inboard with the skeg/keel.
People do trailer the 28. There are pictures around here.

Just my 2 cents...Welcome to the board!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Texas Steve

Post by Texas Steve »

John:

Thanks.. the input is appreciated. I'm still curious to hear from a 26 owner, but I "get" what you're saying about the beam.

Steve
tomcat rio

Post by tomcat rio »

i'm not an owner either, but a high torque diesel with an outdrive might be cause for concern.
... http://www.albinmarine.com/26tournament ... ament.html
Texas Steve

I'm starting to the message...

Post by Texas Steve »

It sounds like I might be a lot better off trying to find a good late model 28 TE than go for a new 26. Any advice on the preferred power plant for such an animal????
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

That's a tough question to answer Tex - ha, I always wanted to call someone Tex! :)

Anyway, that's laike asking a few guys if they prefer blondes, brunettes, or red-heads.

I prefer Yanmar, but many guys here really like their 'Beasts' by Peninsular - and from what they have to say there really seems to be no issue with them. I Like the Yanmar b/c it light and packs alot of power. Newer technology. Downside is its expensive to maintain.

You'll hear from all the Beast owners soon.

I'm not sure how many cumminns owners there are on here.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Steve: If you do not intend to do a lot of trailering the used 28TE seems like the way to go. I considered the 26TE but prefer a true inboard so I bought a 1997 28TE with a 250 HP Cummins last fall. I thought it may be a little underpowered but it cruises at 18 knots while turning only 2400 RPM. I previously owned a Shamrock and if you really want a trailerable boat their 260 Mariner is worth a look. The Albin is a lot more boat and a used one would be cheaper too. And if you change your mind you do not take the big depreciation loss that you have on a new boat. Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Texas Steve

Post by Texas Steve »

Thanks so much for all the input.

I found a 2004 28 TE flush deck in Galveston listed at $115,000 with the 315 Yanmar and loads of options. That is making more sense to me all the time.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

<<<Anyway, that's laike asking a few guys if they prefer blondes, brunettes, or red-heads>>>

I'm partial to redheads. (don't tell the admiral)
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John
Texas Steve

Thanks, John!

Post by Texas Steve »

I will take a shot and see if I can steal this 26 TE...

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”