• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Below deck windows

Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Below deck windows

Post by Mike Ebert »

On the used 31 TE that I just bought, all of the rectangular windows seem to be etched. I would assume it is from salt or sun. I tried some Pledge on them to try to smooth out the surface, didn't work.

Ideas?

Mike Ebert
Catchall
Sausalito, CA
tomcat rio

i'm not sure you can do..

Post by tomcat rio »

i'm not sure you can do too much about it. i don't think i would give the windows (portholes) too much priority yet. if you just got the boat and its used, you might consider just recording all the discrepencies you discover during the first season.
then assign priority. you may find that you come across other items that you would rather spend money on first.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

A couple years ago, the boat yard used ON / OFF to clean my boat, and the ports got all clouded up. I used Starbrite Plastic Polish and it cleaned them up pretty good. Last year, I took them off and used 3M Finesse-it II with a buffer, and that definitely cleaned them up.

I just used those products because I had them. There are any number of plastic scratch removal products at West Marine, etc. that would work.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

One of the things I learned at work is that alcohol will etch plexiglass. It makes it look like it is cracked into a thousand pieces but it stays together. The cracks go deep and no surface polishing can remove it. I do not know if the ports are made from the same type of plastic but I keep Windex, which I think contains alcohol, away from them just to be safe.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I have fixed just about everything that needs fixin' that I have been able to find and am now down to the little, bothersome crap.

Mike Ebert
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Any alcohol based cleaner or hard bristled brush will damage the lexan used in yacht hatches. If the damage is already done, there's not much you can do. A very high speed and soft polisher might do the trick, that's how they get the smooth surface in the factory, but I doubt any such thing is readily available at a reasonable price in the consumer market.

When washing lexan windows and hatches, you should only use water and a soft cloth. I use microfiber rags.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”