• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

outboard motor

dorados
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Carlos, Sonora, Mx.

outboard motor

Post by dorados »

I have a 28 te and want to mount an outboard for get home capabilities. Am wondering how much hp I need to run at hull speed +/- 6.5 knots and any other info anyone has from experience.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: outboard motor

Post by Cape Codder »

I think TowBoatUS or SeaTow or a good insurance program that includes towing is a far more practical remedy.

If you are that remote, where a towing service doesn't exist, and have a transom mounted bracket (with no swim platform), a 9.9hp is probably adequate.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Last year a 28TE showed up at the Roche Harbor Marina in Puget Sound, Wa. with a nicely equipped outboard trolling set up. The owner had installed a 9.9 on the swim platform with remote control. The small fuel tank was in the fish storage compartment. It was an extremely clean set up. The owner's were out of BC.
Seems to me the costs was around 7500., although that recollection may not be correct after all this time. Having used a long shaft Yamaha 9.9 previously I think it will get you home safely and make for some great trolling. If you don't already have a trolling valve then it is a good alternatve. Don't expect it will get you the speed discussed. I put a 35hp Merc. 4 cycle on a prev. Grady White 24 Off Shore. That was a mistake because it weighed to much and made for a an uneven ride on the mounting side. Later determined that a 9.9 was fine for all purposes.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge Conv.
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

I have a 15 hp Honda on my 24' aluminum off shore boat (weight about 5000-6000 lbs). It will push the boat 6 knots max. Depending on current and wind I was averaging more like 4 knots. A 28' TE is going to be a lot heavier and would think you'd need more hp.
Jeff S
31 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This thread reminds me of the thread on THT of the damaged 60' Viking being run down the east coast with a pair of Yamaha's.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

You can't exceed hull speed, so increased HP brings diminishing returns. My last boat had a 9.9hp High Thrust Kicker (4 stroke on a 25' Parker) and pushed the boat to 6.5mpg.

No doubt, you should get a similar kicker with the low end lower unit gearing and large diameter/low pitch prop.

I'd go with this OB on my 28TE if I chose to go this route.
PBK
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by PBK »

I just sea trialed an Album 28 today that I have an offer on. It has a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. At full throttle the boat was doing about 5.5 mph.

Hope this helps.

PBK
1994 28TE - I/O
"Selkie"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

PBK wrote:I just sea trialed an Album 28 today that I have an offer on. It has a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. At full throttle the boat was doing about 5.5 mph.

Hope this helps.

PBK
Hope the sea trial went well and we'll be hearing more from you. Good luck, and thanks for posting the O/B information.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I know this is an old thread - but does anyone know if you do a kicker on the swim platform, do you need a 20" or 25" shaft? I'm assuming regular 15" would be way too short.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Duckshack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duckshack »

You want a 25" shaft. I have a 9.9 high thrust yamaha mounted to my swim platform. Seems I got 4.5 to 5 mph at full speed. You want the prop wash to go under the transom in reverse. I run mine with a tiller handle extension as I am always in the cockpit while fishing for salmon, never at the helm. You also want power trim and tilt on the engine.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Thanks, Duckshack. Would you go with a 15hp if you had to do it over?
Duckshack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duckshack »

Nope, I don't think Yamaha makes a 15 high thrust, next one is a 25 and would be a bunch of extra weight. I currently own 3 -T9.9's and 1 -T8. They are great motors, very reliable, and with regular maintenance last a long time.
Duckshack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duckshack »

I mounted my T9.9 with a swim platform mounted bracket built by PDR Marine Manufacturing in Bellingham, WA. on the starboard side of the transom so we still have use of 75% of the swim step. Also reinforced the underside of the platform where the bracket is mounted
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Duckshack wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:02 am I mounted my T9.9 with a swim platform mounted bracket built by PDR Marine Manufacturing in Bellingham, WA. on the starboard side of the transom so we still have use of 75% of the swim step. Also reinforced the underside of the platform where the bracket is mounted
Very cool - are they available off-the-shelf or are they custom made? Any pics?
DAB250
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Victoria, BC

Post by DAB250 »

I've got two friends with 28's that have T-25hp Yamaha kickers mounted at the centerline on the swim grid. 20" leg and used for trolling, they run extremely well. I'm in the process of doing the same but I'm trying to work with a liquid tie bar to connect to the steering so the autopilot will work while setting gear.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”