• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cored hull problems

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

aquavit
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Riva, md

Cored hull problems

Post by aquavit »

Albin uses a cored hull above and below the water line. What kind of problems have owners experienced with this construction?
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Re: Cored hull problems

Post by carolmarie »

After eleven years of ownership of a 28TE, zero issues.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

9 Seasons with a 28TE and zero issues. Have never heard of any on this forum either. Drilled a big hole for a transducer to prepare for bedding .. dry as a bone. No soft spot discoveries on the 31 as well.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

only had my 27FC for a year now but went through her extensively before my purchase and I haven't found any problems in the hull or on my deck. She's an '87 and the previous 2 owners took very good care of her!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Aquavit,

The only time a problem would be likely with the balsa cored hulls of the older Albin's is if a thru hull was improperly mounted. As long as your surveyor checks around all of the thru hulls and doesn't find any signs of water intrusion you should be good to go.

As an FYI - a properly mounted thru hull has had an oversized hole drilled thru the inner skin, the core is removed, and the void filled with epoxy. After it sets up the hold for the thru hull (or transducer) is drilled through the epoxy. This ensures that any water that gets into the opening doesn't ever contact the core.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
ShortCircuit
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Harbor Boating Club Huntington, NY

Post by ShortCircuit »

I'd like to see more comments on the Cored Hull. The surveyor I contacted claims ALL Albins built after 2000, that he has inspected, have all had water in the hull.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Our 2005 35CB was surveyed in May. Absolutely no moisture anywhere, hull or topsides.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

bought my 2005 Albin 28 TE in 2020, surveyed and found zero moisture, and I tore the boat apart last winter, replaced every through hull fitting, and removed and reset all the port windows, and other various fittings, and checked the hull in various places with my moisture meter.................NOTHING
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

When I installed my axiom transducers I could've cried! Cut both 75mm holes and water poured out of the cores on both sides! obviously i thought i had a huge problem on my hands with a wet core - only to find my core on a 2000 boat was actually foam, what was interesting was that the foam was injected with resin according to my surveyor. I didn't think Albin did that or even did that so early on?

However, after spending a lot of time with a moisture meter checking the entire hull, inside and out and inside is critical to check on a cored hull. The only place moisture was found was around the areas i had drilled through for the transducers and a tiny areas below the bow thruster. It took a couple of days of head scratching to work out what was going on........

I didn't taste the water but we concluded it was fresh water intrusion from inside going out. We even drilled small pilot holes into the coring right on the bottom of the boat with not a drop to be seen.

So to conclude:

Bow thruster moisture - this area is where the last approx 8 gallons of water holds and sediment builds up over the year so water is leaking through the hull from inside to outside.

Transducer Location - this was an odd one but we finally hit the nail on the head. These were fitted right at the very end of the engine stringers and yes you guessed it, this is where a very small amount of water from the deck collects where it spills over from washing down but mainly where rain comes down the rod holders which are directly outboard from them. Stringers are bone dry tested with a moisture meter and small pilot holes.

I'll try and find some pictures of the core!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”