• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Drop curtains

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Drop curtains

Post by mhanna »

I am going to have a drop curtain put on the back of my 28 hardtop and have seen it done 2 basic ways.
1) Is where the snaps are on the "outside: of the pilothouse, giving you the most room inside. I am guessing this way there would just be enough room for someone to stand behind the driver or passenger seat. The curtain would be touching the front of the engine box. There would be some 'dry' room behind the seats, I see advantages as I could put stuff there, hang slickers, ect...
2)I saw is they tuck the curtain inside the house, it looks like there is no room behind the seats for someone. But it does look cleaner, it is essentially 3 flat panels that roll up and are almost even. No snaps on the outside are nice....
There may be other suggestions.

I guess I am asking for input as to what people have found works for them.

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My curtains are set up like your number one version with the middle piece touching the front of the engine box. As you say, there is a little room between the curtain and the seats but we do not really use it. No one stands there with the curtains closed because a fall could damage the curtains. When I stand I prefer to be in between the two seats where I can see better and have plenty of hand holds. You might be able to store a few things on the passanger side but we like to open both sides and walk through. You could toss cushions and chairs there when you leave the boat. In warm weather we roll the whole thing up as a unit. The middle piece has two bungie cords that hook to pad eyes on the deck.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Drop Curtains

Post by Mike Loper »

On our '06 28TE we have drop curtains attached on the inside surface of the wheelhouse. We thought about attaching them to the outside, but decided to put them on the inside. If I could figure out how to attach a photo I'd be happy to show it to you. I'll try to figure it out.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My curtin, snaps to the outside and then to raised loops in the floor. It leaves about 8 -10" behind the seats. We store fold up chairs there and the life ring. While underway, we almost always have the curtins rolled up to give more room and make it feel like we are not closed in. My only concern is that the loops in the floor must certainly be allowing water to enter the deck. Don't know how to stop that.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Drop Curtain

Post by Mike Loper »

I've uploaded a photo of our wheelhouse "curtain" if you'd like to see it. It's located in the AOG Photo Gallery.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Matt

Check out the "So...what do you do?" thread. There is a picture of our drop curtain there. It's a pretty close up shot. If you need to see it closed, go to the pictures post and find "The ultimate recreational vehicle" thread and you will see it closed.
Very functional. It was done by the previous owner. Nice work.
If you need good canvas person, let me know. My brother in law and father have been using a good guy with resonable prices in your area. I've seen their work and it's top notch!

Gery Garcia
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Thanks Gery, sure would like a recommendation. I was going to ask around anyway.
The boat never had a curtain and when I asked the prior owner, he said he never saw the need for it. I dont know, I see it as a plus as it can be rolled out of the way when not in use, and if it cold, raining, ect ... it can be dropped.
I understand there are a few grades of plastic and usually try to buy close to the best thing for longevity, but I also dont want something thats so think that it cant be rolled up.
I guess the canvas guy will have so suggestions.....

Thanks again

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Hey Matt

The name of the canvas guy is Cesar. Name of company is Top Stitch. They are located in Patchogue. He used to work for Bartons and opened his own business.

631-207-1585.

I have not met him personally but I've seen his work. Very good craftsmanship. He did my fathers 44 Tollycraft, 28 Boston Whaler and my sisters 32 Acadia. He did also the cushion work for my sisters boat and it came out sweet. I will definately use him when the time comes for new canvas and cushions.

I recommend going with Sunbrella material for your needs. A little more expensive, but will last much much longer.

Gery

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”