• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bahamas in April

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Bahamas in April

Post by Tuxedo »

Left Charleston April 1st, and after 3 long days made Ft. Pierce, FL. We were racing down to catch a weather window, so we basically ran dawn to dusk, inside to Fernandina, outside to Ponce Inlet, inside to Ft. Pierce. Would have run outside to Fernandina, but this was the first cruise of the year and we decided to be cautious.

The long days were worth it as we crossed a very flat Gulf Stream to Walker's Cay, total 120 miles, and cleared into the Bahamas about 2:00 pm. Then on to Rosie's and the first cracked conch of the trip.

The next 3 weeks were spent bumming around the Abacos, and are best described in pictures.

Tuxedo at Rosies

An almost perfect anchorage

New Plymouth

Man-O-War Library

Man-O-War School

Manjack Cay
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Hopetown Street

Hopetown Lighthouse

Albin was well represented in Hopetown. I saw a 35, 2 28s, a 27 and a 25. The 28 in the foreground is a local dive/fishing boat for hire. Can you see the 28 in the background?

Hopetown Library

Little Harbour - Pete's Place

Kaliks in Green Turtle

A Barracuda adopted Tuxedo at Crab Cay

End of the road - Tuxedo at West End waiting to head home
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

We had to wait a day in West End for the winds to die somewhat as it was blowing 20 out of the NE. The next day was E 15, so we decided to go. Seas in the Gulf Stream were a little sporty, 3 foot wind waves from the E and 4 foot swells from the NE, but we never really had to slow down, and made it back to Ft Pierce by noon.

This time, we took 4 days to get to Charleston, making sure we had time to stop in Titusville for Louis's Ribs.

Totals for the trip

1,468 nautical miles
1,268 gallons of diesel
114 engine hours

Everything worked well, except the bilge pump strainer, which constantly clogged. I have engineered something that should work better, but I'll wait to see before I post it.

Only forgettable moment of the trip had to do with a dragging anchor, a catamaran, and a sandbank. I have erased the details from my memory.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Tom,
Sounds like a great trip. The pictures are beautiful. Now that you have teased us with the dragged anchor, catamaran, etc., you MUST refresh your memory and tell us.

Thanks for the post!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Don't get me wrong, I love northwest cruising, but sometimes I really wish we had places like that to go visit up here.

I keep rooting for global warming to bring the tropics to us.
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice Trip

Post by SpaceCoaster »

Tom,

This is a dream trip of mine also. Living on the East Coast of FL I have little excuse.

I don't know too much about the Bahamas, but we may be visiting soon as a relative just bought half-interest in a 47' Nordhaven and we'll be spending time in the islands. What advice do you have for folks going over there? What was your favorite location(s)? Any issues to watch for? I heard rumors that dirty fuel could be a problem. Is dockage pricey? or would you recommend anchoring? Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Great trip report. One of my favorite places. I felt like I was back in Abaco. It sounds like you hit all the great spots. Thanks for the the shot of Pete's Pub, and Hopetown Harbor. I felt like i was at Capt'n Jacks for greasey eggs a bloody and a short stumble over to Harbour's Edge for a Mahi sandwich.

Someday I would love to duplicate your trip Tuxedo, but for now it's American Airlines to Marsh Harbor and a 26' center console rental with a villa on one of the outer Cay's with dinner at Cracker P's. :D
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Absolutely great pictures, it really gets me reved up about this summer and our trips to Block as well as others. Thanks :)
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Great pictures Tom. I too would like to hear more about the trip and any advice you can give to those of us who would like to try it ouselves.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Russell wrote:Great pictures Tom. I too would like to hear more about the trip and any advice you can give to those of us who would like to try it ouselves.
Manana - been a long day
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Nice Trip

Post by Tuxedo »

SpaceCoaster wrote:Tom,

What advice do you have for folks going over there? What was your favorite location(s)? Any issues to watch for? I heard rumors that dirty fuel could be a problem. Is dockage pricey? or would you recommend anchoring? Jorge
Favorites depend on what you like. Elbow Cay is in the heart of everything, and would probably be the choice if I was renting a house. Manjack and Powell Cays are isolated and beautiful. We were glad to get out of the Hub of Abaco and into the more isolated islands in the north.

Issues mostly involve shallow water and anchoring. There are no markers and no defined channels. You have to be able to read the water and have a good GPS / Chartnav. But the GPS can be a little off, so being able to read the water is the more important.

Anchoring is problematic. The bottom in most of that region consists of 3” of sand and grass over marl. My 22lb Delta would not penetrate the marl. We looked for sandy patches or went elsewhere. I thought about trying the Fortress in it, but didn’t have another opportunity when I made that decision. At any rate, we always dove on the anchor to be sure it dug in. In some places, we did put out both anchors.

Fuel is generally ok if you buy it from places that sell a lot. Conch Inn, Marsh Harbor fuels the Moorings Charters and the Man-O-War Ferry. The marinas that cater to the sportfishermen are also probably ok. We bought 100 gallons at Green Turtle that might not have been wonderful. We were producing more black smoke than normal, but if might have just been the difference in the way their fuel burns. At any rate, I changed fuel filters 4 times.

Dockage ranged from $1.00 per foot (plus 10.00 for electric plus .30/gallon water plus 3.00 per shower) in the out islands to an eye popping $2.60 per foot, minimum 42 feet (plus 12 for electric plus 10 for water) at West End, where we were stuck an extra day.

For mid-trip provisioning, you should go to Marsh Harbour. We stayed at the Conch Inn because it is central, but a strong front came through while we were there. We’d have been better off with the Sportfishing crowd at Boat Harbour. We did stay with the sporties at Sea Spray Marina on Elbow, and I came to the conclusion that these guys know where to stay. On the other hand, I definitely liked the island feel of Black Sound marina in New Plymouth.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Probably the Waterway needs some mention also. Low tide in Georgia is a bit of a challenge. The Little Mud River had less than 4 feet in some spots, no more than 5 its whole length. Jekyll Creek was equally fun, especially when meeting a fuel barge, who told me to pass on the "one".

Before the trip, I went out to the Boat/US forums and to the East Coast Alerts. There, I found a link to the latest ICW surveys, which I printed out and kept with my charts. They helped us know which side of the channel to favor when the water got skinny.

He's a fellow who didn't have them.

Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

One other thing -

I installed a water tank gauge before the trip. It was a must have.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
DBM

Post by DBM »

Seems like a geat trip. I hope to do it sometime in my future.

Great pictures.

David
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Tuxedo

Great pictures. Looks like you had a ball! Drink alot of Kalik? I see you with it in your hand in one of the pictures!

My sister, husband, 3 kids and their springer spaniel took a trip to the Abacos aboard their Acadia 32 last winter for 3 months. Only a dream to most follks!

Check out their internet blog of their entire trip:
http://tidepooladventures.blogspot.com/

It might be useful to those who are planning to do this. Hey its doable in a Albin 28, and obviously a 31 :lol:

I am so jealous! Maybe one day......

Gery Garcia

Return to “Cruising”