• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Unknown Water Leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unknown Water Leak

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi All,

We have as small water leak (i.e. in a good downfall for 3 hrs we will collect about +/- 10-30 ml water) on our 28TE.

The leak physically presents itself deep in the back of the cubby directly behind the faucet in the galley. It is dripping from behind the uppermost top right junction where the cabinetry meets the hull (directly under the second drawer.

At first I thought it might be a port. I removed the most likely candidate after an inspecting the outside and finding some of the caulking may need to be replaced. I decided to remove the whole port and rebed/caulk the entire thing inside and out. Needless to say, we still leaked.

I did some more inspecting. Originally I removed both of the drawers on the upper right side (b/f I did anything) and found that everything was bone dry. I looked again and noticed that the hull to deck joint was behind the drawers too. I measured about 15 cm (6") between each through bolt of the hull to deck joint, and I assume this pattern to be some what constant around the boat.

I further assumed that the rub rail probably covers the hull to deck joint and further still that the through bolts might also serve as the anchor for the rub rail track. I previously had a small boat (a commercial center console) which leaked at the hull to deck joint, but for that boat I didn't care.

Anyway, to detrmine if it was the rub rail, I put hose water on it gently along the length of rail forward and aft of the port side windows. Using caution just to wet the rail and not the stanchions of the bow-railing (as this too may be the source of the leak). Using this technique we discovered water in the boat again.

I think the core is remaining dry as the water seems to have found its path of least resistance into the boat and I'm pretty sure water is finding it's way in via one of the through bolts along the rub rail.

Questions: 1) Has any one had similar problems? 2) How did you deal with it? 3) Instead of hauling her out for (about $400) do you think a bead of silicone caulk along the length of the rub rail will help until fall. 4) If I do that do I assume the leak is no more - or should I expect the worse and think the water was rerouted some where else (i.e. the core)?

Cheers!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not totally visualizing your scenario, but my guess is that the silicone will solve it. If you put the silicone on the outside, not the inside, and the water stops getting in, you've stopped your leak.

Also, the core should not be exposed at the hull and deck joint, so I wouln't worry about a leak at the joint getting into the core. If you're really worried, you could just drill a core sample.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have a diagram of the hull to deck joint that came from Albin. It is down on my boat so I can't really tell you much from here but I will bring it home after this weekend and describe what I see in the diagram. Maybe it will help shed some light. Leaks drive me crazy also!

Denis
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks Mariner

I didn't think about drilling a core inspection. Hopefully, as you said, I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks Denis

Would it be too much trouble to ask if that document can be scanned and email emailed or faxed to me for reference?

Cheers!
ReganNZ
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bayswater, Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Unknown Water Leak

Post by ReganNZ »

Hi
I have the same problem with the hull and deck joint leaking in big seas, did the silicone applied under the rub rail fix the problem?
Your posts were 15 years ago so I would be very interested in the outcome and how long it worked for.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”