• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone pull crab, lobster, or shrimp pots with their Albin?

Moderator: RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone pull crab, lobster, or shrimp pots with their Albin?

Post by Mariner »

Last summer I spent a lot of time out crabbing in my Boston Whaler, but this year I'm thinking about using Nordvika as my crabbing boat. Not only does it provide a larger, more stable platform for this fun activity, but it also has the ammenities to "process" the crab right there on the boat.

We went one time in December and found that we could use the saltwater washdown to clean the crabs right on the swimstep. The next step if finding some safe way to cook the crabs on board without stinking up the cabin.

Of course, with the cost of fuel, the Whaler makes the activity much more affordable. It's already a losing proposition when compared to buying it in the store, but it doesn't need to cost me $50 per 5lb. Dungeness.
Morning Star

Cooking Crab Onboard

Post by Morning Star »

My wife had a good suggestion a couple of years ago - take a portable Coleman propane barbeque/stove along, and cook the crabs in the cockpit.

However, since the fuel source is a small propane cannister, there is an obvious risk of propane fumes leaking into the bilge if the stove is located on the cockpit floor.

Worked really well, and keeps the smell out of the cabin. Good for cooking fresh salmon too.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, the Nordvika is equipped with a propane stove in the cabin. My concern originally was that cooking the crab on the stove would leave the whole boat reeking of crab. Last summer we found, however, that by opening the windows, and only cooking a couple crab at a time, the odor was not long lasting.

Return to “Fishing”