• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31TE Pilothouse Door Hook

Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

31TE Pilothouse Door Hook

Post by Pasteur »

The previous owner of my 31 posted a question about a source for the hooks used to hold the pilothouse doors in the open position. He must have located some because he left several broken hooks in the spare parts bin that came with the boat. I've added to the pile of broken hooks over the last 2 seasons.

The problem is that they are undersized for the purpose. As the boat moves the doors move a bit and the hooks get stressed. Then forgetful captains and passengers try to close the doors without releasing the hooks. That eventually ends in a failure.

I've been using bungee cords as a temporary solution. Has anyone found a better one?

Thanks.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 31TE Pilothouse Door Hook

Post by Pitou »

I ditched the standard hook system that Albin utilized and went with the Sea Dog stainless Door Stop and Catch System. Sea Dog part #Part Number 221710. No more baloney with hooks coming off or bungee cords / rope tie offs needed. Secure the door stop up against the door frame and the catch on your doors and done! No more moving doors with this set-up. They stay secure.

I'll get a picture of them installed the next time on the boat.
Door Stop & Catch . Sea Dog 221710.jpg
Sea Dog Door Stop set-up diagram.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

Great idea, I just ordered a pair for my 31. Thanks
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

Thank you.

The bungee solution is practical and functional but not aesthetically pleasing. From time to time I also get a good bungee snap across the hand.

I take it from your message that you used the same one for both sides. My recollection is that the stock hook uses a longer post/bumper on one side than the other side. But I could be crazy. Or it's possible that over time they've been changed with different parts.

Gotta love the knowledge base available here.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by wpcv1776 »

Pitou,

Do you get any rattling with that type of hook? We haven't broken any hooks because we simply don't use them. They allow the door to move too much so we always use bungee's when underway. We'd love to get rid of the bungees but don't want to spend too much on hardware to have them rattling anyway.

We are also looking for new latch solutions for the electric cabinet door and the folding companionway door. Both will sometimes fly open or loose in rough water. I'm sure it will be easy enough to find solution with just one trip to the hardware store but if anyone has already done this and is happy with their solution I'd love to know about it.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

another really good source for non-marine or non-standard hooks or latches is mcmaster.com and you can do that from the comfort of your own home. i use them a ton and always can find what i need!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

wpcv1776 wrote:Pitou, Do you get any rattling with that type of hook? We haven't broken any hooks because we simply don't use them. They allow the door to move too much so we always use bungee's when underway. We'd love to get rid of the bungees but don't want to spend too much on hardware to have them rattling anyway.
No rattling whatsoever. These door catches sure beat the hook system and the necessary bungee cords or rope tie offs. I'll get some pictures on Wednesday and post.
wpcv1776 wrote: We are also looking for new latch solutions for the electric cabinet door and the folding companionway door. Both will sometimes fly open or loose in rough water. I'm sure it will be easy enough to find solution with just one trip to the hardware store but if anyone has already done this and is happy with their solution I'd love to know about it.
Not sure what you're referring to in regard to the "electric cabinet door". Please elaborate. I think your referring to the "main AC & DC electrical fuse panel"? I'll grab a picture there too.

Every so often the 3M dual lock reclosable fastener buttons on the companionway door need to be replaced. After a while they will begin to fail. Here is the part number: SJ3465 & SJ3463. The only problem is that they are only available in a 1000 pack! A call to 3M will get a couple in the mail to you. Another solution would be an appropriately sized catch like this:
Door Closure.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Kevin, I installed a latch like the one you pictured on our 28TE bi-fold several years ago it works PERFECTLY!!! If anyone is considering one, be sure to take the time to buy a high quality 316L latch, they are more costly but work well.
Don.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

carolmarie wrote:Kevin, I installed a latch like the one you pictured on our 28TE bi-fold several years ago it works PERFECTLY!!! If anyone is considering one, be sure to take the time to buy a high quality 316L latch, they are more costly but work well.
Don.
A few different sizes out there, so be sure to get the right throw.

Pictures of Sea Dog Closures on pilot house cockpit doors / These work great and we often travel wide open when underway and the doors stay tight:
20150509_180942 (450x800).jpg
Door Closures 1.jpg
Door Closures 2.jpg
Door Closures 3.jpg
wpcv1776 wrote:Pitou, We are also looking for new latch solutions for the electric cabinet door and the folding companionway door. Both will sometimes fly open or loose in rough water. I'm sure it will be easy enough to find solution with just one trip to the hardware store but if anyone has already done this and is happy with their solution I'd love to know about it.
AC / DC Panel Door: Two closures / one mounted on the top and one mounted on the bottom .
AC DC Panel Door Plastic Closure (Female).jpg
AC DC Panel Door Plastic Closure (Male).jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

Does anyone have the measurements for the shim that is on the door mounted hook for the sea dog latch? Did you use starboard for the shim?

Did you find a source for the male and female black hooks, used in the electric breaker box, and the battery selector door on the 31. I found others but prefer the original ones if I could find them.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”