• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27 A/C Pencil Zinc Locations?/Lehman

Albin's "power cruisers"
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

27 A/C Pencil Zinc Locations?/Lehman

Post by Don from Mystic »

Hoping not to overlook any, this rookie needs locations with the 4D61/Hurth 165 setup - also thread sizes would be helpful.THANKS!
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

There is only (1) pencil zinc, located on the heat exchanger. Mine is 3/8" diameter x 2" long with 5/16" thread. Same engine.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Kim. So far Ive found two. One on the heat exchanger and one on the oil cooler that sets along the port stringer. Decided to repaint the cooler yesterday and found the intake side partly blocked with impeller fins from a previous owner - glad I saw them! The zincs I purchased were way too long and had to be cut down.Enough pencil left for the next two changes using the orig brass plug.

Thanks for responding. This site seems to have a lot of lookers (views) but its short on responses.Must be rookies like me -

Don
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Don,

I don't think the shortage of responses from this site is due to rookies. Most of the participants here are Albin 28 TE owner/operators with a smattering of Command Bridge Models, A31TEs, A35TEs, A36s and Classic models and don't have much experience with the A25s and A27s..

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apologize if I've offended. Shouldnt have painted with a wide brush.Just seems theres a lot of hits before any (if any) response gets posted.....
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Don,
Your not off base. We have many members that read all the posts but only occasionally post a reply or new message. If you follow the "hit" count you know what I mean.
And, I AM a rookie. This is only my 3rd season with my Albin. I've been boating for 30 years but I'm still a rookie at owning a real boat.

Thanks for all your posts. By the way, your post count is 14. Time for a burgee? :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think the nature of the product line dictates that there will be a lot of views and fewer responses. Personally, because I'm responsible for checking the entire site for content that needs correction, I skim every single post made with only a few exceptions. But since my experience with these boats is limited to my one, rare model, there is often little that I can offer in the way of advice. Since Albin built so many unique models, and varied their design and construction methods not just between models, but even between boats within the same year, this is probably the case for a lot of members. For example, if someone has a quesiton about the Yanmar in their 28' TE, even the other 28' TE owners who have Peninsulars may not be able to offer much help. But slowly, we are building a database of information. Our memebership has skyrocketed in the last few months. As those members start to increase their posting activity, I think you'll find that the site is much more active.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

Don,

I was perusing my oil cooler today and noticed a brass plug toward the front, bottom. Remembering that you had found a zinc, I removed the plug to find nothing, just the plug. It is not the type of plug you could attach a zinc to. I looked at the Lehman manual as well and cannot find mention of a zinc in this location.

Maybe a previous owner decided it would be a good idea to have a zinc in this location?
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

zincs

Post by RicM »

Kim,
Don't be too sure that it wasn't a zinc that became a "plug" when all sign of the zinc disappeared. On the response issue, the forum has been a little slow, I know I've been spending all available time at the dock getting my ride ready to roll. No real adventures to relate, just bundling cables, flushing the water system, getting the head going. The exciting stuff.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

The brass plug in mine was bored to accomodate the diameter of a zinc although the cooler could not utilize a standard length zinc - I had to shorten an off the shelf one - so perhaps the cooler did begin life w/o a zinc.

(I just did a google on marine zincs and did see some mention of oil cooler applications.)

Regards,
Don

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”