• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help with 25 models

Albin's "power cruisers"
canuer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Help with 25 models

Post by canuer »

The search for my next and last boat is focusing on the Albin 25' Family Cruiser Aft Cabin because trailering is all important. From my reading there were 2 models available???? A Deluxe model with alot of wood decor and a standard model which had less ?? Is this correct??? And what is the model with less wood called... Standard vs Deluxe???? Are years important in differentiating models??? Swedish better than US built?? What year of manufacture would be the optimal model, engine-trammy, interior-galley-head etc??? Is there a true Hull Speed that you just can't power it past?? Do folks try to re-power them with bigger diesels??? I'm gravitating towards the LESS WOOD series because I'd rather put the time and money into drive trains, electronics and upgrades. Any help will be gratefully received. Riley Carsey Moorpark, Ca
Spent a week on the Hudson-Champlain Canal, want to return on my own terms. Grew up on the Hudson in Piermont during the 60's, would like to recapture some of that joy.
Conrad Nay
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Conrad Nay »

Hi there...
In the past I owned a 1976 Albin 25 Deluxe and am now an owner of an Albin 25 Motorsailor (1972 or 1974, nobody is sure!). My comments below are more observations that hard data, but hopefully they will give you a sense of what the boats are like.
I believe that the later versions of the A25 were called Deluxe. Not sure of what year the change occurred.
Early models had 22 (approx.) HP Albin diesels; some had Volvo 25 HP diesels. 2 cylinder versions in any event.
Later models (I'm not sure if they coincided with the introduction of the deluxe) had 36 HP Volvo diesels which are 3 cylinder versions.
Many Albin 25s are currently sporting repowers, with Yanmar, Westerbeke and Beta being engines of choice. I have a 27 HP Yanmar that gives me a cruise of 6.5 knots. Much quieter than my previous 36 HP Volvo. I'm aware of one 25 that has a 44 HP Westerbeke; that would be the upper limit for a repower, as anything greater would just be a waste of space & fuel economy with no speed benefit. (The owner of the Westerbeke would blast past me at 7.2 knots....)
I'm not sure if there is much difference re the wood; the only real difference that I can think of is that the Deluxe had a wood shelf built between the berths in the aft cabin.
The early models also had a swing in door under the port side of the helm "dash", which was eliminated on the later model. (You'd have to see it to understand it!)
There apparently was a slight change to the hull around the time of the deluxe model intro, which resulted in the ability to move through the water at the breakneck speed of 11 knots. This would only be possible with the higher HP engine, a clean bottom, and the correct alignment of the stars.
All 25 models were built in Sweden until 1981 I believe. After that the 27 was introduced and was built, I think, in the states.
Re the best year(s), I think the more critical questions would be around general condition and engine. The hull type and some minor interior changes as mentioned above may have some bearing if they are important to you.
One other comment: many A25's have had hardtops installed over the centre cockpit. I have one on mine, and it does significantly improve usable space in inclement weather.
I hope this helps!
Conrad
Albin 25 Motorsailor Vagabond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”