• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AD-21, to save, sell, or convert into mooring anchor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Farlander
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Berkeley

AD-21, to save, sell, or convert into mooring anchor

Post by Farlander »

I have a 1970 Ericson 35-2 which is a great boat with new sails and a good hull. I was about to sell the boat listed for $25k and then I checked the oil. The oil is a milkshake. Fresh water from the cooling system has been leaking for a long time, but never knew where it was going, assumed was being burned off in the cylinders. Now however, the rate of loss is much higher, like 1 liter per hour or more when motoring.

I checked the exhaust manifold, it is dry inside when looking in from exhaust pipe flange, so I assume head gasket / cracked head.

Should I rebuild it, sell the boat as is, or swap for an electric?

Is there any market for a used Albin AD-21? It has a new starter, new heat exhcanger, new alternator, and trans runs fine.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: AD-21, to save, sell, or convert into mooring anchor

Post by WillieC »

Oh, there is a market. Hang on, somebody will chime in.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Part it out. From what you describe the main bearings, big end bearings and cylinder liners are likely to be toast. Someone was thinking of getting a new engine because the transmission on their AD-21 was not working - you may have the solution!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Post by Fred Webster »

Is the AD-21 (Volvo) the same block as a Lehman 4D61? If the starter and other bits and bobs are compatible, I may be interested.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”