• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seawater Flow check

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

scottzorn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Anecortes

Seawater Flow check

Post by scottzorn »

Hello, I am helping my dad get his 28' Albin back in the water after 2 years in dry dock in Anecortes, Wa.

Boat & engine have been well maintained and all seems to work well, although I am getting an intermittent "Low Seawater Flow" alert. I have only had the boat running at the dock for about 20 minutes and the alarm was going off every coupl of minutes, but just for a second or two and then off again for a minute or two. I haven't run the boat in open water yet, but am hoping to this weekend for a few hours.

So the questions are:
1) Does anyone have any advice for troubleshooting this? I assume there is a ball valve or petcock somewhere I can check to make sure it is open
2) assuming that checks out, is the next step to call a mechanic to come out and look at it?
3) is it safe to run for an hour or two with intermiitent warning light? (could running it in open water be what it needs to get water flowing?)

I'm planning on having the boat serviced in September, but am hoping to get my dad out a few times while the weather is still nice. So any and all feedback is appreciated. I don't want to take it out at all if this sounds like a major issue that needs to be serviced before any use at all.

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Seawater Flow check

Post by Norseman »

If you have the Yanmar engine there is a flow sensor on top of the engine at or above the intercooler.
On my boat the sensor was worn down, I replaced it and problem solved.
It could of course also be a real flow problem on your boat, check for rat nests in the cooling system or other obstructions caused by the boat sitting on the hard for 2 years, like the water pump worn or damaged.
(On the Yanmar it is under deck almost invisible on the Starboard side. Get a new pump for $500 and have the old one overhauled so you always have a spare.) :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

It is the shaft on the sensor - they wear away over time and don't allow the float to lift when sea water is flowing.

Apply some RPM to the engine out of gear and see if the alarm goes off.

They cost around £180 here in the UK so i have just unplugged mine for the time being.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. They cost around £180 here in the UK so i have just unplugged mine for the time being.
Jeez, expensive flow sensors in the Uk.
Perhaps cheaper in the EU, Like France… :shock: ?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I have a Yanmar. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Low Seawater Flow alarm. Seems to me that such an alarm would indicate low water flow through the primary seawater filter due perhaps to some short of blockage or a raw water impeller that may have taken on a set and not passing sufficient water flow. In any event, either of these conditions should result in a high engine temperature alarm.
The sensor/alarm that Norseman referred to, I believe, results in a high exhaust temperature alarm due to ware. Higher RPMs usually shuts the alarm down if that sensor is the issue; the sensor needs to be changed.
Don.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Don, it’s the square bolt like thing on the top of the intercooler - two wires coming out of it. They took them off later yanmars because they fail so often.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Intercooler end cap with seawater flow switch
12.JPEG
Internal view of float assembly:
11.jpg
Later production 6LP with the flow switch port plugged (next to zinc and inline with seawater hose):
02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

2 years on the hard, I would start with new impeller in the sea water pump.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

For sure
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
scottzorn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Anecortes

Post by scottzorn »

Thank you all for the quick response to this questio0n! I have to say, I am super impressed with the speed and knowledge in responses. I am not used to that on the internet which is usually fast but poor quality, or slow and high quality. This Albin group my be the pinnacle of fast and smart!

I tested the engine in neutral and higher RPM and the alarm quits going off. I didn't do it for a long period of time, but it seems consistent with the theory that the sensor shaft may be worn. causing the float to stick.

Just to be safe, I am going to try to get the mechanic who works on the boat to swing by if possible to confirm. If it turns otu to be anything more interesting, I will be sure to follow up with details and pictures if I can. Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco Bay Area

Post by rhutch98 »

I think my sensor has gone bad as well, was at about 3000 rpm and I backed down to 1000 to come off plane when the alarm triggered. I immediately turned the engine off and did some mid sea trouble shooting. I pulled the water pump and the impeller looked good but I replaced it anyway. Started back up but the alarm still gong off. The water flow out the back was normal so disconnected the buzzer to trouble shoot further. All temps (water and exhaust) remain normal so I proceeded with my journey. The alarm light would would come and go for the rest of the trip so I am convinced it is the sensor, so I have ordered a new one. What’s the best tool for removing the square sensor?
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco Bay Area

Post by rhutch98 »

Well, I guess I can answer my own question on the right tool. I used a 15" crescent wrench and that did the trick although it was likely overkill.

So does anyone know how this sensor actually works?

While waiting for a new part I did some tinkering. I assumed that the disk would float to the top when the water is moving through but manually sliding up the disk still leaves my alarm light on. Also I placed it in a cup of water and noticed that the disk doesn’t actually float. I can see shaft is quite worn, I can see the wires in the middle in a spot so my guess is this thing is toast but I do wonder if my engine has digested some of it since it does not actually float in water and moving it up the shaft does not clear my warning light.
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

Sounds like the sensor is bad. The disk should float and change signal when moved from the low end to the top. It can be checked with an ohmmeter.

Separately the alarm light can be checked by disconnecting from the sensor and either leaving it open or sending it to ground. I think that when it is grounded the light will go on and when it is open the light goes off (would need to verify with the wiring diagram).
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”