• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heavy engine cover on A25

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

trbeau
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hickory

Heavy engine cover on A25

Post by trbeau »

My newly acquired 1977 Albin 25 D has a heavy engine cover with a removable piece that allows reasonably good access for some maintenance functions and not-so-good for others. Changing the raw water pump impeller or changing the oil filter would be quite difficult or impossible with the larger part of the engine cover in place.
I've read about solutions that include cutting the cover, etc. The cover is lined with foam/lead/foam that insulates against noise very well and extra holes or ports can only make it louder.
So...I might be able to hinge the rearmost lower edge of the box and simply tilt it back but there's a two by four mounted into the hull that prevents tilting. Has anyone cut that two by four and fabricated a latch to reconnect it. Then it could be removed, engine box tilted back and work could proceed.
Worst case scenario is failed raw water impeller while on the ICW somewhere far from help.
Any ideas?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Heavy engine cover on A25

Post by WillieC »

I do a lot of service/maintenance/inspection from back end of the engine looking and leaning forward. I could not abide that hulk of a cover in my way. The longer we own the WillieC, the more I like the fully removable cover, though I did not like it at first. Now if we got turned upside down, I may not like it as much, but there would potentially be other thoughts on my mind. It would not be difficult to add a couple of hatch locks. It might even make it quieter.
trbeau
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by trbeau »

Here's a picture of the rear of engine box. With a couple of detachable hinges I think I could fold back the big cover.
trbeau
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by trbeau »

Here's pic of engine box rear.
trbeau
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by trbeau »

Here's pic of rear of heavy engine box. I can move it by myself but it's too heavy to do regularly.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”