• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hull shape? 86 Albin Sport

Albin's "power cruisers"
DonGuy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: McGraths Cove

hull shape? 86 Albin Sport

Post by DonGuy »

Hi,

I'm in Nova Scotia and am looking at buying an 86 sport. Just had the survey done. It looks like the hull underside towards the stern, both sides, has a sort of hook to it. Where a Cape hull would go flat, the Albin curves up a little (starting 5 ft or so forward of the prop) and back down to the transom. A shape that will tend to lift the stern a little.

Would like to know if this is how they were designed and built - or is there a problem.....

Thanks
Don
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Good eye to spot that one :shock: The 'hook' is perfectly normal. It helps the boat 'plane' in its own funny way. I had a 1986 aft cabin with a 100hp Westerbeke. The same engine went into many sports versions of that time. It was rare for the aft cabin.

If I remember correctly, at 2400 the boat was planing, sort of. That 'hook' stopped the bow from pointing to the sky. Sort of a big built in trim tab. Very clever.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
DonGuy
Mate
Mate

Post by DonGuy »

Thank you. That removes one mystery......
Don
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

Hi Don, I live just around the point in Blind Bay, love my Albin 27, hope to see you out cruising.

Dave
DonGuy
Mate
Mate

Post by DonGuy »

Hi Dave. We live in the gray house near the head of McGraths Cove. Met you briefly on the water last summer - I was in a small inflatable and admiring your boat. Haven't yet closed on the boat - some mechanical questions have come up that I'm now working on. Have initiated two other posts.
Don

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”